• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Checking a horn

How can I test a horn, the steering wheel button does not work, so before I tear apart the steering wheel I figured I would start with the horn...but how do I check it?

Easy. Connect one end to positive terminal from battery. Negative is chassis ground. Rotate screw post until you hear a rattle. That will determine that horn works. If so, simply trace wire back to steering wheel and fix!

That'll get you started. When you find the problem, let me know.

"Fast68back" said:
How can I test a horn, the steering wheel button does not work, so before I tear apart the steering wheel I figured I would start with the horn...but how do I check it?
Or you wait til we drop the motor in, I bring my power probe and I fix your horn in about 5 minutes.

"Midlife" said:
Easy. Connect one end to positive terminal from battery. Negative is chassis ground. Rotate screw post until you hear a rattle. That will determine that horn works. If so, simply trace wire back to steering wheel and fix!

That'll get you started. When you find the problem, let me know.

I tested it like you said and got squat, tried the replacement horn and scared the crap outta myself. It was the horn, damn Toyota parts, damn things barely last 20 years.........Thanks Mid.

There's a screw or sometimes a tab that needs to be rotated that can make a non-op horn operational again...did you try that? I'd hate to think a damn horn won't last 20 years...I mean, how often do you actually use one?

"Midlife" said:
There's a screw or sometimes a tab that needs to be rotated that can make a non-op horn operational again...did you try that? I'd hate to think a damn horn won't last 20 years...I mean, how often do you actually use one?

This is correct. I've revived many horns this way.

Back