• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Chrome-esq paint?

68stang289

I happened across a few pictures of a Shelby Cobra that has a chrome-esq paint job. Apparently they have done a BMW in this process as well. I guess it is a chemical process that they do with actual silver leaf, but does anyone know anything more about it? Specifically, what the costs are for painting something like this? I know it's not real chrome, but I'm intrigued by the look. Has anyone used this process on any small parts?

chrome_shelby_427_cobra_10-568-426.jpg

chrome_shelby_427_cobra_12-568-426.jpg

"Horseplay" said:
I bet that would be fun to drive on a clear, sunny day.

The one I actually saw pictures of had two rather large matte silver stripes down the car and I would imagine that was to help cut down on the whole burning your retinas as you drive on a sunny day thing, haha.

Wow, what an absolutely stunning car. The amount of aluminum work that went into that car to get those body panels straight is utterly astounding. I guess when you run Oracle though, who cares about what it costs? That's definitely the one that I saw the pictures of (or maybe they just copied the design idea using that as a model?), though the caption said it was painted with some new "chrome" painting system.

I unfortunately don't have the tools, skills or area to do my own painting. I did do a google search and checked out some of them, but a lot seemed to me to be like the Duplicolor chrome in a can type spray paint. I didn't expect the process/supplies to be cheap by any means, but was just curious what it might cost to paint some parts or even a whole car like the cobra for that matter.

I don't know anything about the paint or process but I did see this chrome flamed panel truck on the HRPT

Attachments

• Picture 197.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
That's awesome. I wonder how it holds up to repeated washing and how it looks once the clearcoat has started to get those typical fine scratches in it.

There was a 2nd gen cobra at one of the Unique Performance open house shows. The owner was telling someone that he had HUNDREDS of hours PAYING someone to polish the aluminum body to get that look....

There is a process of metalizing I used to use on model aircraft where you paint the object gloss black, rub a metalizing powder into the paint wearing gloves the whole time, then clear coat before anyone touches it.

It was tough enough to do on 48th scale. It would flat out suck in 1:1.

here is one option:

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

I saw the episode where WCC did the Audi on the site above and it looked good on camera, no clue how it looks in real life tho. I have seen sportbikes done in this method in person tho and they looked great, even up close. This is NOT the duplicolor spray on chrome in a rattle can... much better quality and dang close to the real thing, although I wonder how durable it really is.

"steveh326" said:
here is one option:

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

I saw the episode where WCC did the Audi on the site above and it looked good on camera, no clue how it looks in real life tho. I have seen sportbikes done in this method in person tho and they looked great, even up close. This is NOT the duplicolor spray on chrome in a rattle can... much better quality and dang close to the real thing, although I wonder how durable it really is.

Saw the same episode. First time I'd seen it done to a whole car. The process came out several years ago. All I'd seen prior to the WCC episode was small items like trim, helmets, etc. Allegedly it can be done on any smooth non-porous surface.

Back