• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Chump Car race at Heartland Park Topeka this weekend *Updated with results, stor

A

Anonymous

It's time for me to kill another engine. I'll be one of 5 drivers for this weekends race. Saturday will be a 7hr 77 min race and Sunday will be a 6hr 66 minute race. http://www.chumpcar.com/register/supplementalrules/31.pdf

Captain Slow (Skip) will be racing as well, but with another team.

Not a drop of rain in the forecast and high 60's for temps, just doesn't get any better than that! I'll be driving Ronnie and Alan's 66 Mustang Coupe, # 28 and Skip will be in Steve Brown's 87 Honda Civic, # 49. I don't think there will be any in-car video, but I'll try to get pics throughout the race.

KHMotorsports66Mustang.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Chump Car race at Heartland Park Topeka this weekend

Oh boy! Be ready to say "what the hell am I doing in this car" about 50 times in the first five minutes of your stint. At least that is what I did in Iowa.

I will be there Friday afternoon (by 1:00) to help get the car and my gear through tech.

Will probably see you there.

Later.

Skip

Well, it's getting late and I'm wore slap out. What a fabulous 3 days at the track :steer :yah

Friday, we spent the day getting the car and gear through tech. Saturday, the race started at 9am and ran till 5:17pm. I ran the second stint Saturday and then the final hr and half to take the checker. We had an oil leak that we were unable to find and spent a couple hours cleaning and looking.

Sunday morning, the race started at 9am and ran till 4:06. We ended up finishing 16th, half a lap behind Skips team! Our car was in an altercation mid day (left rear, NOT our fault) and then with about 40 minutes left in the race, the motor fell on its face which ended up with the car crunching the RF fender on a concrete wall. We tried to find the bad miss, but there was soooooo much oil everywhere under the hood, it made it impossible to figure out in such a short time. We parked the car instead of being a rolling road block (and not endangering the rest of the drivers on the track). Skip's team was able to make up the lap deficit (21 IIRC) and they took our position...on the LAST Frick'n lap!

The good:

For my first W2W racing, I had a BLAST. No contact, one decent save and one great save going 3 wide into a 2 wide corner! I ran decent lap times so I didn't embarrass myself and got to start today with a rolling double file start that was THE most intense 4 wide diving into turn one action.
I ran with a GREAT group of guys and the car was a hoot to drive. Shaun's master cylinder and massive front brakes were unbelievable! They never faded and worked flawlessly all weekend. We chewed up a good amount of tires and burned somewhere around $800 worth of fuel (screw you, tree huggers!)

The bad:

Skippy's team beat us on the last flip'n lap for 15th.

There was a LOT of damn good racers there this weekend (and a couple of asshats), but overall, it was a great way to be introduced to W2W racing. Thanks to Ronnie and Alan, Jason, Russ, Tony and Wayne for a great weekend. I hope I get a chance to do it again :thu

Here are a few pics that Deb and I took.

Tony's Rain Bird pop-up at our pit.
TentRow_zps18a0e13d.jpg

Does this suit make my ears look big?
MarkStanding_zps8d1cfa3b.jpg

My first stint with my faithful dog watching!
BackHead_zps192ca8aa.jpg

Hmmm, either passed them or they're gonna freight train me.....guess which!
Frontstraight_zpsb39107af.jpg

Proof I was there.
Driversnames_zps75f6690b.jpg

Damage done today. Hey, at least Shaun got some quality advertising all weekend :thu
RFdamage_zps9de1bdc3.jpg

LRdamage_zpsd386eb4e.jpg

Glad you had fun Mark! Too bad the car got banged up but doesn't look too bad. Happy to hear you liked the brakes. What pads are you running in there?

"Shaun" said:
Glad you had fun Mark! Too bad the car got banged up but doesn't look too bad. Happy to hear you liked the brakes. What pads are you running in there?

Porterfield R4

"It was a most ripping victory."

We were counting down the laps/minutes and the race lasted just long enough for us to move into the 15th spot.

I have been going through some of my in car video and it captured a few of the 66 Coupe's on/off track endeavors. Mark was not behind the wheel.

I will get something put together and posted in the next few days.

As Mark said, it was a BLAST!

Few more pics that a friend took after I finished my first stint on Saturday.

P1020273Large.jpg

P1020274Large.jpg

P1020281Large.jpg

P1020282Large.jpg

P1020283Large.jpg

Our Assistant crew chief, Wayne was responsible for yanking us out of the car and buckling in the new driver. He was really good AND fast about it!

Seems he is pulling onto a rag with a helmet attached . :hide :hide :hide:stu :stu :stu

Here's another pic of some hefty lean!

Chump101.jpg

Back