• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Coil spring thoughts???

monkeystash

I know this topic has been beat to death....however, I still can't make up my mind for my '65, so I need your thoughts. I planned on running 620#, 1 inch sway bar, along with all roller bearing front suspension. Now, I'm a bit skeptical on the 620s after reading so many posts. Opentracker recommended the GT springs (480#) with a 1 1/8 sway bar, and that is route I'm leaning toward now (especially with the bushing bind gone.)

Those of you with 620# springs (Craig, I think you have them,) how is the ride, and are you sorry you put them in? Or glad you did?

Anyone with GT springs, or other than 620#, how is your ride/handling?

I want a great handling car, but it will never see opentrack (and I like my teeth.) BTW, my rear suspension is Maier Race 165 leafs and panhard.

Thanks!!!

"Starfury" said:
Why not compromise? 540lb springs are pretty easy to find.

Well, some say their 620s are really 560s. WTF?? ??? With stock springs only in the mid-200s, I think even the 480# plus the huge sway bar will be just about right. I'd just like to hear real world examples before I pull the trigger.

I have a pair of these coil springs leftover from a project a couple years ago. The below description is cut and pasted from a NPD catalog. They were installed onto the car, the car sat too low for my liking... I removed them a couple days later and they've been sitting on a shelf ever since.

I have no use for them. If you'll pay/reimburse me for shipping, I'll send them out to you. When playing around with the front suspension, it's always nice to have a couple of different spring rates to see what works best.

I'm in NC, you're in ATL, even though the springs aren't light, shipping shouldn't be too much.

Contour Coil Springs
Lower the front-end 1" and provide increased stiffness.
65-66 Gray powder coat, 480# rate, pr 5310-1A 66.95

And to answer your original question, 620s are pretty stiff. Almost too stiff for me.

If I redid it I'd go 540.

Actually, I am thinking of dumping the 620's. Too harsh. 540's might be the way to go.

Back