• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Console ideas

Kats66Pny

So I was cruising ebay looking for a center console ideas and saw this: 06-10 VW Passat Console

I have no idea what the dimensions are or if it would fit under the dash or how much adjusting it would take, but something in that style would be pretty neat to put in Gertrude[nb]We named my Mustang.... it's Eleanors older, ugly sister![/nb] if I put the shifter back in it's original place. The area with the 3 circles (not sure what they are for) could work for the 3 switches I have, or add some guages/clock, or maybe replace that and put in a stereo so I wouldn't have to cut up the original dash. That is one thing I am set on is keeping the original radio even if it doesn't work. I like having that original piece of the past.

I need to find a junk yard and go console shopping! :vic

Modifying and installing something like that would be MUCH more work than moving or swapping out that B&M shifter and putting in a Hugger unit.

I too like the modern finishes and such of the modern consoles but they can be a lot of work to get sized correctly, etc.

"Horseplay" said:
Modifying and installing something like that would be MUCH more work than moving or swapping out that B&M shifter and putting in a Hugger unit.

But what if the shifter is a ratchet kind where its still an automatic, but you still have to manually hit the shifter to shift gears? Wouldn't that require some work on the transmission to make it a function like a normal automatic?

My '66 I am selling has a combination shifter setup. It is a B&M Star I believe, All I have to do is re-position the shifter handle in the car to go from a normal automatic to a manual shift automatic. I would think that type shifting you have should be done all thru the shifter design, not the transmission. I am not 100% on that but I am sure on how mine works.

"Kats66Pny" said:
But what if the shifter is a ratchet kind where its still an automatic, but you still have to manually hit the shifter to shift gears? Wouldn't that require some work on the transmission to make it a function like a normal automatic?
The way the shifter functions is separate to itself and did not require and transmission modifications. As noted before (diff thread) you do need to verify that the PO didn't remove or modify the original transmission linkage arm(s).

Personally, I think any late model console is going to look out of place in a classic stang, the plastic just seems "off". That said I have a bad@$$ wood console that Jake (Lethal289) built sitting in my garage that I need to get off my @$$ and get covered. I have a second one that he built that I need to auction off, I've just been to damn lazy..... Check out Jakes build post, his turned out pretty nice.

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,3203.0.html

66GT350's post
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,3546.0.html

Personally, I think any late model console is going to look out of place in a classic stang, the plastic just seems "off".

This is a good general rule of thumb, but remember the late model plastic console that "EvilEleanor" sourced and modified for use in the twin turbo EFI '65-66 2+2 roadracer that he was building for his wife? I forget exactly which car he sourced it from, but I remember it came out looking VERY nice and he was amazed at low little the amount of modifications had to be made.

Damn you Dave.... Hate it when your right
005-10.jpg

That console doens't half bad. It looks like it fit pretty good too. So does that wooden hand built one Jake made. I wish I had the tools and skills to make something that nice. That one kicks butt. :vic

Oh and I feel stupid. Learned something new about B&M Quicksilver. I was Googling for installation instructions to see how it was installed, linkage arms, transmission stuff blah blah blah since I'm not sure what to look for. Well I'll be damned.. turns out this thing (I'm 95% sure its the quicksilver) has straight gate mode AND ratchet mode. I didn't know that! :doh I thought you had to use it in ratchet mode at all times. I guess I'm going to have to experiement today after the sun is up (don't want to wake up and upset the neighbors!).

I'm looking at the Quicksilver also for a later upgrade once my AOD is installed and running well but I want to build a custom console also much like the Shelby ones so I'll have something to lean on and put stuff in, place to mount gauges. Sorry I'm late to the party as I had read it was dual mode:

IMG_1241.jpg

The QuickSilver also comes in a console version for camaros but I can't find any good pics to see what's different about it other than it doesn't have the black plastic tub around the bottom. I'd like to mount it flush with my console so I'm sure I'd need to cut the floor hole bigger and don't know how much room there is before it'd be sitting on the trans either. I'd like to see both models out the box and next to each other to take measurements. I'm hoping that the console version is more compact under the console:
http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Performance-Automatic-Shifters/Quicksilver_73-81_Camaro_Firebirdwithconsole
media.jpg

It really aggravates me that they have to write 'B&M' on every piece of this shifter as I think it's the only one that could be made to look most 'stockish' compared to the other shifters. I know I can unscrew the knob and replace it but I'd like to hide that 'B&M' engraved in the shaft also (wonder if it unbolts?) and will probably make my own bezel as it's stamped also (and plastic it appears).

Also from their website -(AOD requires #40496 installation kit). http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Automatic-Shifter-Replacement-Parts/Bracket-Lever-Kits-Ford-AOD

I'm sure Summit has better prices.
Jon

Here is what I have.. it's missing a lot of stuff. Only has the shifter and the black box to go around it which doesn't have any screws so it just slides around. I keep forgetting to call B&M to see if I can order the rest of the parts separately.

photo1ft.jpg

photo2hy.jpg

If I could find a console that would work with this, I'd be a happy camper. I do like the look to it compared to others and like you said, you can change the knob which I plan on doing. I just wish it didn't have B&M written on it. I'm not fond of that either.

Oh I forgot to mention that I finally got to drive my mustang today! Yuppers, got it over a month ago and just today got to sit in the drivers seat and drive around the block. :vic I could be driving it around town, as it runs fine.. but the husband says he doesn't like the idea of me driving it when it has no power steering. *pfft*

Hey Kat, can you measure the base area of that shifter? It looks like it's shorter than the regular one, I think that's the console one for the Camaros. How tall to the top of that flat plate and how long and wide? I'd like to see if I could sneak that under a console like the Shelby one I posted.
Thanks, Jon

Here ya go.

3 and 1/4" from the hump to the top of the flat piece
3 and 1/4" at its widest across
10 and 1/2" long from back to front where the cable goes through the floor

shiftersize.jpg

Thanks, that helps a lot, I'll save that pic with your measurements.
Oh and :hom
I now see the big box that goes around it sitting on the seat, I focused on the shifter and didn't even see it there, so I guess it's the standard one and not the console one, hopefully I can find a console one out the box I can look at to see if it's any shorter or different in a way that would help my installation.
Thanks, Jon

Jon, the hurst V-matic fits under my console. :nta

166_21_11_09_3_15_19_0.jpg

166_21_11_09_3_20_26_3.jpg

Kats missing the rubber boot that goes above the kleenex box. That boot works wonders when mounted to a console.

I still need to take some real pictures of it cleaned up. Those are with a cell phone, but you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back