• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Convertible quarter trim snaps

BB

Can some one tell me a good way to install the quarter trim snaps in the fiberglass panel on a 68 convertible? On the original, the hollow tube is rolled over. I thought of trying a large center punch, but that is probably going to split the tube.
Thanks,
BB

I went to the hardware store and purchased some snaps that had small screws that went through the panel. I used small nuts and washers on the back side to give it the needed support. It works great and I didn't have to screw with those stupid tubes. I couln't get them to seat properly and the snap would be at an angle.

I used a 1/2 inch punch with a 90 deg point to start the flare and finished them flat with a c-clamp.
They did split a little but not enough to affect the hold. Had I screwed one up I'd have used the screw type.

Thanks guys,
I might revert to the screw type anyway or grind away some of the fiberglass. I drilled my holes today and the new panels from Mustangs Unlimited are too thick to use the tube type, unless I grind away some of the backside.

Thanks again,
BB

Installed my snaps with a couple of small washers and a rivet. Rivet head goes in the holow tube and pop the rivet and presto it's secured with no screws required.

Back