• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Converting a 50oz to a 28oz flexplate. Possible ?

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
Want to put an AOD behind a 351W. I have a AOD flexplate with 164th and 50oz imbalance.
Can i drill some holes out of the attached weight to get that 28oz imblance.
In the past I mounted a new flywheel to my other 351W and had to choose which weight I had to screw on.
So I assume the position/orientation of the weight is correct , just the weight isn't right.
But by drilling some holes in the weight I can achieve my goal......I guess.
Someone did this too ??

Is there any offset I have to consider with ?

Isn't the weight welded on this flexplate? How would you know how much weight you are removing? Seems sketchy to me to go this route. I'd suggest having an engine machine shop remove the weight so the balance could be checked when finished but it might just be cheaper to find the correct flexplate.

Terry. To my notice the flexplate isn't balanced by this weight. Its just inbalanced to correct the inbalanced chrankshaft. IMHO.
I could weight the flexplate on a digital scale and removed step by step the 22oz difference???
Am I missing something. The offset of the flexplate has to be tested prior machining the weight I guess.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T805 met Tapatalk

The plate bolts in a very specific orientation to the crank and the imbalance weight needs to be centered on a specific point on the plate if it is to do its purpose of countering the imbalance in the crankshaft. I think you'd be hard pressed to drill out the necessary weight and also maintain the correct balanced weight position. Possible? Sure but much more difficult than it sounds, I think.

I agree that it is definitely possible, but not probable. Those plates with the different weights and the neutral balance are pretty slick.

I've wondered before if one could cut a 50 ounce imbalance weight off a flexplate and swap on a 28. But since I can go down to the local parts store and simply get a "Pioneer FRA205" it hasn't been worth even thinking much about. For me.

If it's any help that part number from Pioneer is the correct one commonly available here to fit an AOD to a 351W. The actual application would be a "1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria base model with the 5.8 engine". It would actually be a police car but for some reason the parts listings never mention that part and call it "base model" instead.

Cause the position of the weight on a 50oz and on a 28oz flexplate , are the same. So I was thinking of drilling out some material out of the 50oz weight to meet the 28oz weight. It is doweble IMHO. Just the offset I am not sure.
Yes , for the cost , its not worth the risk or time but living abroad , I am a foreigner from Belgium , hellhole of Europe accordingly to Mr Trump , a new flywheel will cost me at least triple the amount due to shipping cost ($50) and taxes.
Yes , meanwhile I know the FRA-205 is the part I need. Thx.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Back