• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cool way to paint doors

I saw these pics on another forum and thought I would share. I really dont know shart about painting, but it seemed like a cool way to paint doors. I usually see them laying flat, but the body and fenders are typically painted in the upright position.

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Busted! You've been on the Camaro websites!

Neat way to paint the doors. I bet it results in less trash in the paint too.

"monkeystash" said:
Busted! You've been on the Camaro websites!

Its a pro-touring website, there just happens to be a lot more camaros than Mustangs, but we are trying to sway some Mustang guys over....

"Fast68back" said:
Its a pro-touring website, -------, but we are trying to sway some Mustang guys over....

So how about a link??? This is my first 'most everything off project' and I'm looking for as much info and contacts as I can find :cry

I really dont know shart about painting, but it seemed like a cool way to paint doors.

I suppose it's nice to have full access to all of the nooks and crannies, but since the door hinges have to be installed in order to mount/hang the doors in this fashion..... wouldn't the door jambs have to be already painted underneath the hinges?

So.....

Paint the door jambs. Install the hinges. Hang the door onto the edge of a workbench. Paint the outside skin of the door.

Seems completely un-necessary to.

The other thing I noticed.... as a NOVICE painter..... I'd rather have as many things as possible laying flat instead of on edge. Anything that is painted "on edge" stands a greater chance of developing a run/sag.

here's the lowdown on the paint. to do a REALLY nice pro quality job when using any paint with a metallic flake the parts need to be painted in the position they will be on the vehicle. gravity has an effect on the flake as the paint dries & you want the same gravitational pull on the door skins & fenders as you do on the quarter panels. some colors/flakes/pearls are more succeptible than others & can actually look a shade off if the doors are painted flat & the flake settles differently. usually the high metallics like silver & gold tones are the worst(notice the car shown above is silver). this isnt a problem with solid colors, so they are fine to paint in whatever position you prefer. hope this helps!

That is one long arse paint booth. It is, however, lacking in light. I don't know how the painter sees when he's painting down on the lower part of a rocker panel.

Doug

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
here's the lowdown on the paint. to do a REALLY nice pro quality job when using any paint with a metallic flake the parts need to be painted in the position they will be on the vehicle. gravity has an effect on the flake as the paint dries & you want the same gravitational pull on the door skins & fenders as you do on the quarter panels. some colors/flakes/pearls are more succeptible than others & can actually look a shade off if the doors are painted flat & the flake settles differently. usually the high metallics like silver & gold tones are the worst(notice the car shown above is silver). this isnt a problem with solid colors, so they are fine to paint in whatever position you prefer. hope this helps!

Agree 100%

Well stated.

So, that brings up another question. How many of you paint your jambs first then reassemble the major body parts (doors, fenders, trunk, hood) and paint the car as a whole. For those of you that paint the car in total pieces, how much problem do you have getting perfect gaps, etc. again without chipping paint.

Doug

I've painted 3 cars where I painted the jambs, trunk, etc, then attached the hood, doors, trunk. I find it easier. I've painted some old Mercs with the doors & such off, but they were all solid colors.

Never had a problem with matching, except once-I painted the headlight buckets off of one car, and had to the reshoot them as they didn't match. Color was a burgundy metallic. I assumed I didn't mix the paint well - now I know why it happened!

"classicdoug" said:
So, that brings up another question. How many of you paint your jambs first then reassemble the major body parts (doors, fenders, trunk, hood) and paint the car as a whole. For those of you that paint the car in total pieces, how much problem do you have getting perfect gaps, etc. again without chipping paint.

Doug

i take it on a case by case basis depending on color & how easy it is to apply when deciding whether to paint together or apart. when painting one apart, i fully assemble & align all the body panels prior to paint, then whenever possible i drill 1/8" "alignment holes" in the panels to be removed. most of the time, these can be done near a removed bolt/washer assembly & hidden after reassembly. i put them in the hood hinges, door hinges & fenders, then after paint, i can slide a small punch or #0 phillips head screwdriver in the alignment holes & get them easily into position. i also make patterns for stripes after doing the initial pre paint alignment & can do those while the car is apat too. i did my dads 38 p/u this way, stripes & all.
stevesstuff307.jpg

"Fast68back" said:
I saw these pics on another forum and thought I would share. I really dont know shart about painting, but it seemed like a cool way to paint doors. I usually see them laying flat, but the body and fenders are typically painted in the upright position.

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

That :fbomb booth is huge!!!!!!!!!!
I thought our booth was big. You could paint a bus in that thing

Last edited by a moderator:
"classicdoug" said:

Doug

We always remove the doors, hood, and trunk then shoot the car. The only exception is a candy or tri coat paint. Because its hard to match the color. So we paint it all together. Its tricky sometimes

That is a very large booth. We had one for our buses in the LA office at the last company I worked for and let me tell you a booth that is 14' tall and 16' wide and 60' long is very big!

We painted the 67 jambs and under hood and trunk and interior first, then we painted the insides of the fenders and installed the doors and fenders and painted the car as one. The hood, trunk, front valance and rocker panel were painted separately.

I think the car came out pretty darn good.

Of course we now have to either fix a couple spots or repaint it.

Mel

My car was just painted with every single part off the car and painted separately. Highland Green, metallic. I haven't had it in the sun much yet, but I haven't found any mismatched panels yet.

Many pics in my build thread.

Back