• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Covered my doors

classicdoug

I finally covered my doors with the same vinyl as the door panels are going to be. I bought enough from TMI to cover everything in the car including all of the fastback fiberglass panels.

Doug

Doug, my interior was 100% covered when I bought the car many, many years ago. The lower dash, kick panels, the original center console, doors, door panels, head liner, visors, seats, all the rear fastback fiberglass pieces, even the windlace was done.

Here's a couple pics (sorry for the poor quality) that I found:

console7.jpg

steering%20wheel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting..... how did you get the material to fit the contour of the door? It almost looks like the material has been molded to fit the door.

No, just the jambs have been painted. Because of all the metallic and pearl in this color I'm going to paint the car with the doors, fenders, and hood on.

Dave, we masked off the area that we didn't want glue sprayed on first. Then we sanded the fresh paint with 180 grit, sprayed glue on the door and the back of the material. Next we layed the vinyl on the door and started working it from the middle of the door towards where the weatherstrip goes. We only used a heat gun on the bottom two corners. I then let it dry for a couple of days and then trimmed the edges with a razor blade.

I'm really happy with the results.

What did you do in the area of the window felt across the top of the door? Seems like the extra thickness might be a problem along with that trim.

The vinyl is tucked glued down all the way below where the window felt goes. This is the second set of doors we've done like this and the vinyl is thin enough to not cause a problem.

Doug

Looks good Doug!

Looking forward to seeing it more complete. Looks like a great alternative to painted doors.

Thanks.

TMI is one of the upholstery companies who makes upholstery for Mustangs. I custom ordered seat covers and told them to cut 10 more yards off of the same roll as the seat covers so the dye lot was the same. My seats are the pony version sport seats. They are the red like the vinyl on the doors with brushed aluminum vinyl inserts. I'll post pics of them when we get them on the seats.

Doug

Back