• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cowl question

steveh326

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I searched and didn't see it discussed before.

Besides a non-stock look and losing the fresh air intakes inside the car, what would the disadvantage be of repairing the cowl damage, then cutting out the grate portion between the hood and windshield and welding in a solid patch panel there to prevent future issues?

Been so focused on other major rust repairs under the car, have not even looked at the cowl yet but based on everything else on the car I am anticipating the worst.

Mostly as you mentioned.....the looks would be odd. There are some pics out there of them but I have not seen them lately.

Found one...
11-2.jpg
actually posted else where by Rusty Gillis who is on here too.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was thinking about doing it, I didn't really run across any cons to it.. but to some, it just looks funny. :shrug I opted to leave it stock looking when I redid my cowl.
Another thing that I've heard of people doing is to widen the drain holes so there's less chance of debri clogging it up and rusting out the area. Or one of those covers (either plastic or magnetic).

I've seen a number of the more "restomod" style cars with the cowl smoothed over. Everyone looked weird (bad) to me but that is just my opinion. It's funny how even a small change to these cars can really alter the entire appearance. To me that just shows how very dead-on Ford got it from the start.

"Horseplay" said:
I've seen a number of the more "restomod" style cars with the cowl smoothed over. Everyone looked weird (bad) to me but that is just my opinion. It's funny how even a small change to these cars can really alter the entire appearance. To me that just shows how very dead-on Ford got it from the start.

I think if Ford had made the cowl smooth from the start, we'd think THAT looked right and the cowl with the slots would look funny.

Frank

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
I think if Ford had made the cowl smooth from the start, we'd think THAT looked right and the cowl with the slots would look funny.

Frank

Very true......

"AzPete" said:
Mostly as you mentioned.....the looks would be odd. There are some pics out there of them but I have not seen them lately.

Found one... actually posted else where by Rusty Gillis who is on here too.

Thanks. That looks fine to me... I am a big fan of a smooth clean look and I don't mind that pic at all. Once I get in there and see how bad it is/isn't I'll make a decision. had hoped to have this thing on the road next spring but that's looking like a stretch... :(

From some I read a time back, the best way was to cut individual panels for each grill area, leaving the original metal in place. Each opening is a slightly different size if my memory is right.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Another thing that I've heard of people doing is to widen the drain holes so there's less chance of debri clogging it up and rusting out the area.

While I didn't necessarily widen mine when I replaced it, I did dolly down the small lip at the edge until it was level to allow for easier drainage and less likely for water to remain pooled around the vents.

Back