• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cowl removed...now what?

So I finally decided to tackle the rusty cowl. I have a new full lower cowl panel and it looks like my upper cowl can be reused once I get it opened up. I'm looking for advice on how to move forward once I get to the point of re-installation. I am guessing a liberal application of seam sealer around the cowl hats and scuffing the panel up before any paint application is a given. However, can I just use some rattle can paint in this area? I'm not set up for paining with a gun yet and I haven't made a decision on what color to put on the car yet. I am assuming this area won't get adequate paint coverage through the grates when the rest of the car is finally painted. Any advice?

I've never replaced a cowl but I would paint it befor replacing the upper. The grill will not allow enough paint in.

I painted my cowl while I had it apart. Used the same paint as the rest of the car and had no problems.

Yes, you want to add seam sealer around the hats. As for painting... I had my cowl replaced (full upper and lower) and I didn't get it painted inside. There are ways to paint it inside if you chose to wait until you decide on color. I've heard of folks using a long tube with holes at the end and stuck it up inside the drain holes on the side to paint up in there.

Hi Brad,
I've never done a cowl, but I've watched enough of them being done to think I have experience in having done them :confu. So, you haven't removed the cowl assembly yet? How far along are you before you begin tackling the gazzilion spot welds? I would think in replacing the lower cowl, you may as well replace the upper as well. I would think you'll pretty much destroy the upper during the separation of all the spot welds. Kat has a good write up and I'm sure there are others. I think you're going to have to make a build thread out of this as it is a pretty trying task. As for painting the inside of the cowl~ you don't have any idea of what color your project is going to be and go ahead and paint the insides?
dne'

c'mon, post a few photos ; )

However, can I just use some rattle can paint in this area?

Absolutely not. Rattle can paint will not last at all in that environment: it does not seal, has no hardeners, and will oxidize like nobody's business in a couple of months. You must use true automotive quality paint and not rattle can quality.

besides pouring a bucket of water down the vents and looking for leaks inside the car, is there any other way to check the condition of the cowl area? with my luck, it would not leak if tested that way NOW but would start leaking like a beatch a week after I got it out of paint...

Get yourself the brightest light you have around, place it on the cowl vent grill, then crawl under the dash.

The water test is better IMO

No matter how hard you look, the water will find the opening you missed/did not see.

"Dne'" said:
you don't have any idea of what color your project is going to be and go ahead and paint the insides?

I have narrowed down the color to Raven Black, silver, Kona blue, or the original Dark Moss Green Metallic.

"Dne'" said:
c'mon, post a few photos ; )

OK...

I have the cowl removed but I haven't separated the top half from the bottom yet. I would like to keep the original top because it will be one of the few original panels left on the car and there doesn't appear to be any rot in it...

Attachments

• 2011-07-16-01.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 182
The water test is the best way. I did it on my fastback and I am still not sure it is ok. I am finding rust everywhere it seems....

I am 1/2 tempted to strip it down when money is better and media blast it and start from scratch..... :roul :roll :roul

Anyway, your project looks like it is doing well. If you look down from the top can you see any rust?

If not you are likely ok and can just use a sealer and paint it and then put the grill back on it.

Mel

"AzPete" said:
No matter how hard you look, the water will find the opening you missed/did not see.

yeah i get that, but my point is that what if it doesn't leak now but it's getting close to leaking... 1 month or 6 months or a year after I get my car together it starts leaking then so it has to come back apart.... no good way to visually inspect the area... the rest of my car is rusted so bad I'd be shocked if the cowl wasn't bad also, but I don't/can't really know for sure.

I guess the best thing to do is bite the bullet and tear it apart now anyway and repair/paint in there so I know it's fixed for good, otherwise I'd wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat screaming COWL and my wife would wonder wtf was wrong with me.

I am finally getting back to this project. It looks like originally there was some sealer type material placed between the upper and lower cowl panels before they were welded together. When I get to welding the panels back together, should I put something between the panels like the factory did? If I try to replicate the factory process, what material should I use?

If you have the new cowl I would use an epoxy primer PPG, SPI or what ever flavor you prefer. You will also need some seam sealer 3m, Lord Fusor Again what ever you prefer (some need a special gun so beware of those). Since your there I would also paint the back side of the dash as well since you can get to it.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Yes, you want to add seam sealer around the hats. As for painting... I had my cowl replaced (full upper and lower) and I didn't get it painted inside. There are ways to paint it inside if you chose to wait until you decide on color. I've heard of folks using a long tube with holes at the end and stuck it up inside the drain holes on the side to paint up in there.

Yours didn't get painted a color Kat, but it got tons of weld thru primer around the sides first and then we epoxy primed the underside of the upper cowl and the upper side of the lower cowl.

I know Ford originally oversprayed the exterior car color down into the cowl, but personally no matter what color the exterior of the car is, I like the inside of the cowl to be black.

I did what Kat suggested and painted the inside of mine black after painting my car.

Doug

"classicdoug" said:
Yours didn't get painted a color Kat, but it got tons of weld thru primer around the sides first and then we epoxy primed the underside of the upper cowl and the upper side of the lower cowl.

You sure? I don't think there's primer unless its black? :shrug Inside of my cowl is black and I see surface rust already. There doesn't seem to be any primer of any kind in there. It looks exactly like it did out of the box, dynacorn black. I can see gray primer on the outer part around the spot welds and around the top window frame though.

Attachments

• IMG_5029.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5028.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5027.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 104
Should be black epoxy, which looks a lot like the dynacorn stuff. I would be willing to bet that rust is metal shavings that are in there from all of the grinding. Since your car isn't painted yet, I would try pouring something down in there to stop the rust, just so it doesn't look bad.

Doug

"fastwayfirebird400" said:
If you have the new cowl I would use an epoxy primer PPG, SPI

Yup...already planning to do that before putting it all back together.

You will also need some seam sealer 3m, Lord Fusor

So is this to be used after the panels are put together and welded or do I add a bead between the panels, stick them together and then weld?

Since your there I would also paint the back side of the dash as well since you can get to it.

I was already planning to do this.

"classicdoug" said:
Should be black epoxy, which looks a lot like the dynacorn stuff. I would be willing to bet that rust is metal shavings that are in there from all of the grinding. Since your car isn't painted yet, I would try pouring something down in there to stop the rust, just so it doesn't look bad.

Doug

What grinding? From when it was being put in? If so, that makes sense. I haven't done any grinding since I got it back. What kind of stuff should I put in there until it gets painted?

Since your there I would also paint the back side of the dash as well since you can get to it.

I was already planning to do this.

+1 Smart idea. I did the back of my dash in POR 15 and down the firewall (inside). Was so easy to get to everything with no cowl in. I should have waited to do the wiring while the cowl was out, but I was too impatient and just wanted that cowl in. lol

Back