• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Creating 1964.5-1966 E-flasher harnesses and switches

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I have a request to provide an e-flasher harness for a Falcon 1965 system. I have butchered harnesses in stock, but no switches. I can repair the harnesses, but what about the damn switches? I bought some back in the 2000 time frame, and they disappeared from various catalogs circa 2004, so apparently they were Ford Service Parts and no one is reproducing them.

OK...what to do? First, I had to figure out how the switch works, and Ford did a bad job, finally fixing things late in the 1966 model run. The earlier versions are easy to install (they go between the main harness and the turn signal connector), so that's what I want to work from. I have a good idea as to how to create this switch using commercial parts, but want to test it before selling it to folks. Wednesday, AZPete is gonna come over and drink all my beer while I attempt to electrocute myself. I'll post the results (if I'm still alive) then.

I think I may be on to something, and possibly be able to sell a near reproduction e-flasher harness with switch!

I know I am on to something, free beer and watch him burn.............and my emergency flashers work so I will keep an eye on my car....

"Fast68back" said:
Pete, I should be rolling through PC on Sat, let me know if you need any help..

Stop on by, I will save a cold one.....or two......always nice to have help emptying brown bottles.

If it works out let me know, I might be interested in ordering something. I'd like to get my emergency signals working "just in case".

I have an e-flasher harness that appears to be original in my car but currently it is stashed way up under the dash. It doesn't work and I didn't want any questions at state inspection time so I basically hid the darn thing way up under the dash. I figured (correctly) that the kid working the inspection site didn't really know these cars and would assume e flashers were not required equipment in '66. I had managed to get my horn working before inspection so I passed and he didn't ask me anything about e flasher, LOL!

My best guess on mine is that the switch is old and worn out.

I have seen the switches here and there but they are pricey. I saw one on e-bay a while back that included the wires but the guy wanted a lot of money for it.

RustyRed:
Pete and I verified that the design that I figured out would work, and we tested a prototype using four separate lamps, a flasher unit, and a power supply. Yes, indeed, I can fix and/or create an emergency switch harness for any 65-66 Mustang. See my post in the Midlife Harness Heaven forum for details.

I am so stoked that I figured this out...I've been puzzling this on and off for several years. I found all of the components to manufacture and fix any e-switch system for these years. There are no reproductions of either the switches or the harnesses: I'm amazed that no one has been able to reproduce them.

Mid,

I had planned to simulate what the stock setup did by analyzing the schematics, and splicing wires as required, and use a DPST switch (A thread on the VMF a while back deconstructed the switch and determined it was basically a DPST switch) to make it all work.

If you took several years to figure out what you're working on, I'm now worried that I oversimplified this task in my head. Note that I have no allegiance to originality, so I don't care if it doesn't look stock, or uses stock wiring/connectors. Now I'm wondering if I am in over my head?

Or maybe my belief that the switch is just a standard DPST switch is incorrect?

Thanks.

Steve

Wrong switch....the correct switch is the key to making them work without any major wiring changes.....

Nope...a DPST switch won't work at all. The VMF thread (Ford53TRK had it right) does contain the right info: you need a ST3P toggle with all of the three input lines tied to the emergency flasher can output.

"Fast68back" said:
Pete, I should be rolling through PC on Sat, let me know if you need any help..

Hmmmmm, promises, promises, promises......and I had some cold ones waiting.....

Back