• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cross member clean up

abrahamfh

Do you guys think that if I cut a access whole through one of the frame rails, in order to clean up the inside of the cross member, will it weaken the structure?

4c66d5e7-6d22-7480.jpg

...and a round hole would be better than cutting out the entire rectangle as you have shown... I'm sure your just illustrating the area, but just thought I'd mention it just in case you were tempted to remove that entire rectangle.

Keep in mind Abe that if you were to try to remove the entire area you indicated, you'd cut the front mounting tab off of the frame rail (where the radiator support is also welded in. Opening it up, such as a circle as stangg suggested, would allow reasonable access. You also already have partial access through the existing factory holes (albeit very limited). Due to the way the entire structure is assembled (frame rail to radiator support), you wouldn't weaken the area significantly enough to have a major concern. Anytime your cut metal out of a structure, it will weaken it, as Pete said. Think about the stresses imposed on that particular area though and honestly, IMHO, they're not too great.

Abe.
Doesn't the front cross member already have holes in it to help feed the RH head lights? If so, all you do is use the wand. You do not need to cut more holes.

There are two small circular access holes on the side facing the firewall and there are two big elipse cutouts on the front side.

crossmemberrear.jpg

crossmemberfront.jpg

I guess I can try and custom fab a tool I can add a razor to the end of to try and scrape off as much of the dirt in the cross member to shoot it with some zero rust.

Maybe a wire brush with a long handle, kinda like a really big pipe cleaner? That would knock off any scale and dirt, then MacGyver up a vac attachment to reach inside.

"Gigantopithecus" said:
Maybe a wire brush with a long handle, kinda like a really big pipe cleaner? That would knock off any scale and dirt, then MacGyver up a vac attachment to reach inside.

Sounds exactly like what I need. Thank you.

Stick the sand blaster in all 4 holes and rotate around. Should get the best results that way.

Back