• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

custom hood

S8NS 289

hello my name is chance im building an eleanor coupe, has anyone ever tried to make a custom STEEL hood for an eleanor?, i have seen the pit viper mustang which looks like an added fiberglass end on the hood, i have 2 steel hoods my bodyman swears he can make one by cutting and glueing the hoods, i can afford a fiberglass hood i just wanted to see something different, anybody heard of something like this or know how difficult it would be??
I bought steel louvers,Boss 429 scoop, and 2010 shelby titanium hood pins.
any input would be AWESOME!!! :pbj

Oh, you need to do it! I have thought about but that is as far as I got. I had scribbled some idea on how I might make it.
index.php

index.php

I saw this one and thought it was pretty cool
oct272b.JPG

you da man tarafied, im gonna see what we can whip up i got these louvers think it would be overkill with a 429 scoop?

ha ha!, the shaker eleanor is VERY cool, well see if mine makes ya wanna :barf first my brother thinks its too much with the louvers scoop and shelby pins, but he has a slant 6 charger so he doesn't count.

:lol

I think it will be cool, can't wait to see it. I had two hoods also, one with a Boss 429 scoop and the other with the turn signal scoops. That was going to be my plan.
Here are a few more pics that one of the guys on the Eleanor forum sent me when I was trying to figure out how to do it. He used fiberglass on the front rather than metal from a second hood but it help visualize what's needed.
b56363045e7a1bd9f6208c7a1d9c0e5e2c5da845.pjpg

c011685b1df986160abf1f867d5064ade1fdb7ab.pjpg

96c263d544150faf8711d4026c2af43b54c38021.pjpg

4d336afe56a41ba1fc14873b1af7088b74dcce56.pjpg

1203655e586a18ddf78b82b7197d0bf707e173fa.pjpg

wow he had ALOT o' work in that, thanks for the input, always appreciated., kept dreamin there would'a been a red beauty roll up when i was in horse cave,, when i get mine done we will have to cruise.?

yeah, I can't remember when that was but I'm usually on the road like you. I wish I could have come up there but for sure we need to cruise together! I'm already planning for the 2011 Hot Rod Power Tour, can you have yours drivable by June?! :$$$

YUP!, and i will be going too, all i need is a T5 and im set wondering if i should break down and just buy a new one?? ive been saying for the last 5 years i will drive my 68 to the iola car show,, if i dont this year imma gonna keel :rp,, but 4 sho ill go on the power tour.

My hood is not a Shelby/Eleanor length hood, but I did have a custom metal hood scoop fabricated and welded to my metal hood. Here are a few pics.

23791070039_large.jpg

23791070041_large.jpg

23791070181_large.jpg

23791070180_large.jpg

you would never tell that hood scoop is steel i like it!, rich you have alot more knowledge about fiberglass than me you think with an extended metal frame underneath would be enough strength for the fiberglass?, or all fab steel>??

"mustangstofear" said:
trying to make a steel hood by extending with fiberglass is a bad idea. Guaranteed it will all crack in a short time. Rich.
I wasn't suggesting he do it that way, nor would I do that way, just sharing what someone else did for an idea on what it looked like underneath, etc.
I still think the steel hood idea is a good one. Garner67 and Lethal289 both have fabricated steel scoops, proof in talented metal working. I think a steel E-car hood would be cool. I am just not that talented with metal working. Hope someone does it...

I think an all steel hood would be great to, but the cost of the die would make your hair stand on end. We actually custom made a hood for a customer, who had a hood shipped from classic design concepts. They did not offer the 3 in. cowl to the public, so we had to raise his hood to match there one off design. That hood also had the turn signals in it .
i will see if i have a picture of it. Rich.

Back