• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cutting speaker holes - gulp!

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I need to butcher a very nice original trap door for a couple 6x9 speakers. How would you cut it?. Was thinking of first doing a 1-2" hole saw cut, then follow the trace with a electric saber saw, jig saw, whatever saw.

You don't even need to use the hole saw... a 1/2" drill will provide more than enough clearance for the jig saw bit. Obviously you will be using a fine tooth metal cuttng blade (~24 tooth), and be sure if your saw has an oscillating feature to shut that off. Also tape off the area where the saw will rest on the grain to minimize marring from the chips, and don't run the blade at full speed. slow and steady and you should be fine.

Personally I wouldn't cut up a good original since repro "metal" doors are available for not too much money...

Guess what, moments after I created this post, we decided to not chop the original door but instead do the spare dynacorn door.

Great minds do think alike. :thu

Yes especially since I already have the dynacorn we are going to cut it. They aren't cheap either but the original is quite nice and I may change my mind on 6x9's in the future.

"gtscode" said:
Yes especially since I already have the dynacorn we are going to cut it. They aren't cheap either but the original is quite nice and I may change my mind on 6x9's in the future.

Good idea! You may get tired of the 6x9 look and it is a shame to cut up on original. I would much prefer to use an reproduction for this. I searched high and low to find a good original for the 65.

Back