• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dash assembly order...

2ndgen

I've never removed the entire dash from a Mustang before... but I decided to do a total restoration on my current project (a 69 Mach 1) and now I am at the point of reassembly.

What is the general order of reassembly? I don't want to make any stupid mistakes that involve extra steps/work...

My intuition tells me the following general order:

1) brake pedal support
2) lower dash
3) glove box internals
4) firewall pad
5) electrical harness
6) heater box
7) radio and heater/vent controls
8) heater/defroster ducts
9) upper dash
10) instrument cluster/clock
11) gas pedal
12) steering column

Any advise/comments/helpful hints/suggested changes of order?

Thanks in advance,
-Rory

I'd definitely move the instrument cluster higher up on the list. With it out of the way you have better access to what's behind it.... like seeing the pedal support and the wire harness routing. Also, the sooner that the steering column is removed, the sooner you won't have to work around it.

"daveSanborn" said:
I'd definitely move the instrument cluster higher up on the list. With it out of the way you have better access to what's behind it.... like seeing the pedal support and the wire harness routing. Also, the sooner that the steering column is removed, the sooner you won't have to work around it.

I read it as him being ready to assemble......

The heater box needs to go in BEFORE the lower dash. Otherwise, you'll be pulling it back apart.

Glove box internals is so simple on a '69, leave it for last. That gives you room to work.

Upper dash MUST go in after the gauge cluster.

I'd do it more in this order, although some things can be be moved around:
1) firewall pad
2) gas pedal
3) heater box
4) lower dash
5) brake pedal support
6) steering column
7) electrical harness
8) radio and heater/vent controls
9) heater/defroster ducts
10) instrument cluster/clock
11) upper dash
12) glove box internals

I agree with John. I F'd up and installed the lower dash prior to the blower motor/heater box ass'y. Had to take it loose at the side mount. I didn't have to totally remove it. But trust me, install that heater first.

I also recommend ductwork before radio/heater controls.

Back