• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dash harness identification help

Kats66Pny

Ok I have most of it hooked up, but diagrams are confusing and I can't seem to figure out what a few of them go to. :confu

1. This black wire. I was able to figure out what the other wires for the gauges are but this one black one.
IMG_5034.jpg

Looking on the back of the dash cluster I have, and the diagram (http://midlife66.com/wiring/66instr.jpg), there is suppose to be a black wire connected to the thing my finger is touching but the connections do not match and the writing on the back of the dash says it's suppose to be red.
IMG_5035.jpg

2. I'm pretty sure these connect to the wiring on the steering column correct?
- what does that blue one (2nd pic) go to though?
IMG_5039.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

3. This white wire. No clue what it is/for or where it connects.
IMG_5037.jpg

4. These wires - located near the firewall.
IMG_5040.jpg

5. Located on the Passenger side of the harness.
IMG_5042.jpg

6. I'm pretty sure these go to the wiper motor correct?
IMG_5036.jpg

7. Black wire screwed to under the dash. It looks like a ground, but to what??
IMG_5041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and something else I need to hurry up and decide since I'm hooking up the harness... what to do with the kill switches.

IMG_5043.jpg

The middle one is actually not needed anymore. It was a switch to turn on the gauge lights. Now that I have a stock dash and lights I don't need the middle switch anymore. UNLESS I want to keep it and use it to rig up a light or something since I have no dome/map light? :confu

The other two are for fuel pump and ignition. My options:
1. I could delete both of them and just be able to turn the car on just by using the key. Keep it all simple.
2. I could delete the fuel pump and only have one switch for the ignition and hide it as theft precaution.
3. Keep them both and hide one or both of the switches.

I do like the idea of when I build a custom console to have cool switches for stuff using these switches like someone else did.
http://www.otrattw.com/products.php?cat=17
http://www.otrattw.com/products.php?cat=4&pg=2

All I klnow for sure is that the diamond plate HAS to go no matter what. Its fugly. :puk

I am more familiar with 67/68's and might be wrong on these but I'll guess:
I think this is your Turn Signal switch connector...
IMG_5038.jpg

this should be for the heater box, door light switch and emergency flashers...
IMG_5042.jpg

these might be for you engine wiring harness... (temp, oil pressure, coil)
IMG_5040.jpg

this on could go to the broken ground wire hanging off the dash...
IMG_5035.jpg

as for the toggle switches, yes you could wire the fuel pump and ignition to the new ignition switch and save them for your console and lights or something else later

"Kats66Pny" said:
Ok I have most of it hooked up, but diagrams are confusing and I can't seem to figure out what a few of them go to. :confu

1. This black wire. I was able to figure out what the other wires for the gauges are but this one black one.
IMG_5034.jpg

Black wire is the ground lead; in 1966, there were 3 variants of ground lugs. This wire needs to be connected to the tab your finger is on. If you'd like, I can cobble you up a jumper. PM me.

Looking on the back of the dash cluster I have, and the diagram (http://midlife66.com/wiring/66instr.jpg), there is suppose to be a black wire connected to the thing my finger is touching but the connections do not match and the writing on the back of the dash says it's suppose to be red. It may have been red by the previous owner, but it should be black.
IMG_5035.jpg

2. I'm pretty sure these connect to the wiring on the steering column correct?
- what does that blue one (2nd pic) go to though? That is a courtesy light lead for the rear lights on a fastback and for door courtesy lights. Leave it alone in a coupe.
IMG_5039.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

3. This white wire. No clue what it is/for or where it connects. On a 1966, this is for your rear running lights. It attaches to your tailight harness. I am assuming it comes from the main underdash harness; if not, I need to know where it comes from.
IMG_5037.jpg

4. These wires - located near the firewall. Blue/red is your PRNDL lamp; the others go to the glove box (green/yellow wires) and the black/blue wires are for the door courtesy lights if you have them.
IMG_5040.jpg

5. Located on the Passenger side of the harness. The yellow wire plugs into your heater box; the other two spade leads are your emergency flasher connectors; the plastic connector goes to your emergency switch. If you do not have an emergency switch, you can leave all of these alone.
IMG_5042.jpg

6. I'm pretty sure these go to the wiper motor correct? Correct.
IMG_5036.jpg

7. Black wire screwed to under the dash. It looks like a ground, but to what?? There are two basic grounds: one to the dash (see the male bullet above...it goes to a ring connector), and the wiper motor system also needs a ground. Your wiper system has a black and a white wire with a ring connector on it; both ring connectors need to be scewed into the chassis. Your other modifications may have a ground, but i suspect the wire remnant is from your dash ground.
IMG_5041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok got it pretty much figured out now except #3. The long white wire.

Yes, it comes from the main harness you sent me. I looked and don't see where it could connect to the tailight harness? :shrug

IMG_5037.jpg

My bad; that wire is one of the many running changes made in 1966. It ties into the ACC line, but I've never been able to identify its function. Normally, there is a white wire that is used for the washer motor power, hooked up via the wiper switch and motor area, but it usually terminates in a female spade connector. I have seen separate white wires that go from the switch to the wiper motor for the washer motor, though. I've checked my inventory, and that wire has the correct female bullet plug/connector.

My guess it is used for some accessory that was rarely used. I would leave it alone.

Nope. I only have all the connections halfway stuck together until I could be 100% certain what went where and incase I needed to undo them. They'll all be tightened and triple checked before I even attempt to turn the battery back on and try to start it.

Right now, I still have the dash cluster out so I can still reach back there. I can't install the wiper motor & arms until I receive my back ordered parts from CJs. :roul Those little pads/seals to help keep water out.

Back