• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dash Temperature Control Testing

bwross

Greetings all,

Does anyone know of a way to test the dash temperature controls for my 67 w/ Select-Aire to determine if its working properly? By the looks of the vacuum lines attached it hasn't seen the light of day in 43 years and I'm not sure it was working when I tore the dash apart.

thanks,
Bruce

Thank you for the welcom; are there any members of this board that are in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex?

Bruce

Are you asking how to tell if the flaps are opening/closing when you flip the lever from def. to dash, etc. or what temp. the air is coming out of each location? If you want to know the temps a simple thermometer with a long probe will tell this, you can get them at Wallyworld, Harbour Freight, etc.

Here's the '67 wiring and vac. diagrams, hopefully the AC unit is in the vac. section, haven't looked yet:

http://hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/wiring/1967/

Wouldn't hurt to change the hoses (40yr. old rubber) and a vacuum tester like a MiteyVac will test the vac. canisters to see if they hold vac. I use mine a lot to test vac, bleed brakes, suck fluid, test dist. vac. advance, etc. They sell them at Harbour Freight and Sears, etc. cheap (<$40 plastic) to more $ metal ones.

I'll be in the ND area 2/22 - 2/26 for work if you'd like to bs over a beer or food in the evening, Rick (Fast68back) and I meet sometimes over pizza @BJ's in S. Arlington off I-20. PM me if you're interested, I've got a '67 Coupe in pieces going back together but live in TN.
Jon

That's not the end I'm asking about; in the dash at the control panel the four pneumatic lines come into a housing that the control levers attach to. What I was wondering is if there is a way to determine if the control housing is still sound or if can it be determined if it leaks. I've got the entire dash apart and will be replacing the hoses; just thought if the control housing needs to be replaced or repaired that nows the time. Your comment about the MiteyVac might be worth looking into to solve this challenge; so thanks.

I may just take you up on your offer later in the month.

Bruce

Hey Bruce, I just got a '67 control panel in the mail that I won on fleabay, I'll hook my miteyvac to the lines and see what kind of vacuum I can pull. The unit looks in excellent shape and I lucked out that it is actually a deluxe piece to match my dash pieces. Mine came with no A/C deluxe alum. but I want to install an CAA or Vintage air system and have the full AC control panel with built in vents so I'm collecting all the stock dash pieces.
I'll try to test it Sun. if I can escape the wifes side on Valentines Day....
Jon

If you have the vacuum selector in your hands, just plug all the holes but one and attach a plastic tube to that one and suck on it to see if it holds a vacuum. The selector has some rubber gaskets inside which control the vacuum flow. I soaked mine in Armour-All to rejuvinate the rubber and it works like a charm.

&quot;Mustang_Charly&quot; said:
If you have the vacuum selector in your hands, just plug all the holes but one and attach a plastic tube to that one and suck on it to see if it holds a vacuum. The selector has some rubber gaskets inside which control the vacuum flow. I soaked mine in Armour-All to rejuvinate the rubber and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the tip David, I didn't realize there were rubber seals in there, I squirted some Meguire's rubber cond. in each outlet with a syringe and let it soak. The Miteyvac might be too efficient for it so the tube to suck on might be safer. I pulled ~15in. of vac. and it would drain down in a couple seconds but that was before I lubed it. My hose was too thick to seat fully with the rubber caps on the other nipples also, need a thin tube to suck on. Probably would have held vac. longer if my hose fit well.
Jon

Hey Jon, I'm going to add the AC one day and I need one of those controls too. How much did you end up getting it for, so I'll know what a good deal is.

Does anyone know if the new repro has the control assembly built in, or is it just the face plate and vent?

I won mine on fleabay for $50 which I feel was a great deal, it's in great shape, a few small 'pits' but fine for a daily driver and it's the deluxe version to match my dash. I had the nonAC controls but hope the AC ones will give me more control over the CAA or Vintage system whichever I choose to install.

Now I have to score a center vent which was different in '67 than '68 and I need it to be the smoothe deluxe one. I don't think you can paste the alum. on top of the camera case as it'll look raised. If you have the camera case it should be easier to find controls I think as there were fewer deluxe.
Jon

Back