• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Deck Lid Panels

PJ Moran

Here's a little sump'n-sump'n I whipped out today. They're decorative insert panels for my trunk lid. They're made out of 1/2" styrofoam insulating board I got at Lowes. It's got foil on one side and clear plastic on the other. I glued on some "carpet" that I got from Auto Zone. It's carpet in name only as the nap on it is VERY fine and short. It's not really carpet, but it was perfect for this project.

I also applied this material to the back of the well liner for a clean appearance.

383_07_03_10_1_54_15_0.JPG

383_07_03_10_1_54_15_1.JPG

383_07_03_10_1_54_15_2.JPG

And here are a few shots of the finished trunk. I installed the Distinctive Industries carpet kit.

383_07_03_10_1_54_15_4.JPG

383_07_03_10_1_54_15_3.JPG

383_07_03_10_1_55_30_0.JPG

383_07_03_10_1_55_30_1.JPG

I'm having a custom spare tire cover made. The one that came in the kit was too small for my spare, which came out of an '03 Cobra (required to work with my Bullitt brakes).

Very nice work on the trunk, PJ. Have you previously discussed the gas strut mod on the deck lid hinges? It looks like a nice mod to get away from the rattle bars and sagging trunks. Is the hinge otherwise a stock unit? If you have already discussed this mod elsewhere, please point me to it, as I cannot locate it.

Thanks,

Kev

"ko67" said:
Very nice work on the trunk, PJ. Have you previously discussed the gas strut mod on the deck lid hinges? It looks like a nice mod to get away from the rattle bars and sagging trunks. Is the hinge otherwise a stock unit? If you have already discussed this mod elsewhere, please point me to it, as I cannot locate it.

Thanks,

Kev
yeah, what he said...

"ko67" said:

Thanks,

Kev

Maybe on that other forum...

I bought these off of Darreld (68EFIvert) a coupla years ago. He decided against them because he has a fiberglass deck lid and was afraid of distortion, or something.

The kit comes from AeroForm. I'm pretty sure it's designed for a coupe, but works on a 'vert, sorta. I was unable to use the floor mounting brackets because you have to compress the strut a little to install it even with the floor brackets mounted all the way forward. I tried and tried and couldn't get them on. These struts take ALOT of force to compress.

Turns out that they wedge just perfectly into the corner of the trunk floor of my 'vert - no brackets.

You do have to modify your hinges. You have to cut off the ears into which the orignal torsion rods hook. So, if you do this, you will be altering your hinges irreversibly.

I was hoping they would lift the trunk lid, but they're not quite strong enough. I pop the latch and lift it ever so slightly - then the struts take over and take it on up.

The stress on the hinges does require some adjustment of the hinges, but it's not a big deal.

I'm happy with them.

Back