• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Delorean reveal…Pebble Beach

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
The reveal….well wasn’t. It had already been revealed earlier in the day on the Pebble Beach golf course.

The drive there was on 17 mile drive. This is all private land so they actually have a gate with a toll for tourists. I said I was with Motor Trend and they let me through. Not sure if I was supposed to pay or not ($11.50). It seemed like each driveway there was an event sign. At one intersection there was actually a huge temporary building for Mercedes. We were marveling at the homes when we spotted what must be an original owner’s house. It was just a one story house. Shabby and with a little land around it. Talk about land rich.

It was a nice time though. Got there a little early and gave the Vette over to a valet. Joann was worried. Hey there were a lot fancier cars here than a Chevy so I knew it would be okay. We walked up the driveway of a mansion facing the Monterey Bay. On the side leading to the garage was an original Delorean. 80s design in all it’s wonder. Most looking on and in wonder hadn’t even been born when it was new. I sat in one at a dealer back then and he was almost giving it away. They were known to be dogs.

Well on into the mansion. All set up for events. This was no longer a personal home but an event place. Nice lighting, music. Outside there were open bars. Around the back and back to the garage area there was the cloaked ‘new’ Delorean.

When the time came we got as close as we could and waited for the reveal. This was all hosted by Ed Loh, the editor of Motor Trend. His staff were next to us getting it all to social media ASAP.

There were the introductions of the head of Delorean, the designers (don’t know how much effort they put out), other execs. Then on to show the evolution of Delorean through the decades. News to me that anyone even considered such designs.

Then the reveal…tada…YAWN

A shape like all other luxury EVs that are coming to market. Nothing stood out. No design element. No tech wizardry. Even the color was…what color is that…orange? Pink? Reddish?

And that was it. There wasn’t any talk of it’s technology, performance, availability. Nothing. It was all to have the upper 1% come and oooo and ahhhh. It was a networking event to make further deals. I heard people talking about their classic cars and selling this or that. Talked to a guy who bragged about all his businesses….shoes, art….basically he didn’t work just managed design to manufacturing to marketing. Yeah I know its work too. Over heard a lot of “we’ll be in touch”. So this was all some investors thought, was using the Delorean name and it would invoke some magical marketing feeling. Delorean the original car was a failure…economic timing and a rush to build it anywhere and with any drivetrain. I’m thinking this will be the same. Unless they build it ala a Koenigsegg whereas production numbers aren’t considered, just performance and exclusivity.

We talked with a waitress who was the most interesting. She worked gigs like this all the time. She lives in Big Sur. Her family has been there since the 1800s. Very cool. But I said she was land rich and that’s about it. She said yes her whole family lives there and just makes a living.

We sat and drank the free booze. Ate the hors d'oeuvres…duck breast tacos, ravioli with dried tomato.

No celebrity sightings.

We left about 10:30 and headed for In-N-Out for a burger. Its was packed with other event goers looking for real food after hours of hors d'oeuvres. Only three McLarens.

Damn I-phone orientation
IMG_9627 SF.JPG

IMG_9634 SF.JPG
IMG_9642 SF.JPGIMG_9657 SF.JPG

Sounds like a nice event.

I'm not really loving the new delorean. It's just another new EV.

I don't think it will really do well.

If it wasn't for back to the future movies the original would barely be remembered. It was not a great car. Bad engine, poor build quality.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Sounds like a nice event.

I'm not really loving the new delorean. It's just another new EV.

I don't think it will really do well.

If it wasn't for back to the future movies the original would barely be remembered. It was not a great car. Bad engine, poor build quality.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
And you forgot that it ran on cocaine. :rolleyes:

fd

I have a relative that has two original Deloreans and is turning one into a BTTF time machine. The Delorean purists are insufferable about that.

Glad you got 2 pictures oriented correctly...:D

Nice looking ride and seems to be a fun party. I would rock that.

Allen

Back