• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Did I get a good deal?

Lemondrop

314794_3281265041562_1240544587_n.jpg

Just drove it home from the Orlando area. Had a flat drivers front tire, went to tire store and had a new one slapped on it so with the tire, I have $598 out for a 1995 Mustang GT. Did I do OK? :steer

The PO said it has a busted transmission, it is a T5. Said over 45MPH it shakes the car to bits. Yep, it does shake but locked in 4th gear it still shakes and buzzes back infront of the rear axle. 99% sure it's a $10 u-joint and not a T5 :beer

Last edited by a moderator:
Well crud. Went and jacked it up and it looks to have a new ujoint in the front of the driveshaft and the tranny rear seal is knocked out. The joints feel OK. I'm assuming the front joint failed and sent a nasty vibration to the output shaft and might have KO'd the rear bushing the drive shaft rides in. Looks like I'll get to open the tranny up. I just hope it has fluid and has not all squirted out the tail housing. There is not fluid coverage on the belly of the car so who knows. I'll have to double check that the driveshaft is straight also. If nothing else I have a fox body T5 for my 64.5 project but it will need a input shaft swap to make it work and I'd rather not monkey with a good transmission. The car needs a clutch anyway so I knew I'd be pulling the trans out. Was hoping for a cheaper easier fix but I think I'm still OK with what I bought......and yes the A/C still blows nice cold air :)

Got the car up on ramps and yanked the driveshaft. The rear bushing is knocked to crap and the driveshaft yoke is crankshafted really bad. The guts seem pretty tight so I am pretty sure the transmission will survive with a new tail housing. Has a new U-joint as I thought in the front and a old slightly worn one in the rear. I have my old fox body shaft that I am pretty sure is the same size but will look for a replacement shaft and used tail housing.
Anyone have a dead T5 laying around?

Cleaned the MAF and the engine is quite a bit more snappy than it was. Needs a tune up, plug, wires, cap + rotor, fuel filter, and oil change. Has some crappy vacuum lines also. Think once that is done and I fix the tranny + install a new clutch, I'll have a decent running 5.0mustang :)

A little bondo, some sandpaper, and that yoke will be good as new! :sarc

I've never seen a driveshaft like that. Worst I ever saw was a Ford van that the front U=joint broke on and ripped the tail housing to pieces. The yoke on it was damaged but from dragging the ground after it broke and fell out.

Back