• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Did some bodywork

KTJMcG

The last couple of days. Some friends and I were talking about how most of the body work you see now a days is just fill and sand or replace the entire part. I decided to try the old hammer and dolly and file the high spots on my passengerside fender.

This is what I started with:
12.jpg

This was a crease that had about 1/8th inch of filler in it:
15.jpg

I used the airbrush and gave it a couple of coats of paint to use as a guide:
16.jpg

Then began hammering and dolling from the backside until I got a raised surface:
21.jpg

the pics get somewhat self explanatory here as I started tp work the file:
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

As I moved down toward the lower part of it I found this:
28.jpg

It has the structure behind it:
29.jpg

I got out the stud gun and welded these to it:
30.jpg

I'll finish pulling it out tomorow and take some pics of it.

Just like it used to be,a long slow process.

Thanks. Here's the end result.

After the first 3 pulls:
31.jpg

Paint to start the filing with:
32.jpg

A little more working of it with the puller:
33.jpg

Some more filing and paint:
34.jpg

And the finish:
35.jpg

I got it as close as I could and will still have to use a small amount of filler.But not as much as was on there to begin with. Long and tedious,but worth the final result.

from the amount of work I had to do to get my repop fenders to fit I'd say the effort to fix a salvageable original is well worth it. Nice work.

"tarafied1" said:
from the amount of work I had to do to get my repop fenders to fit I'd say the effort to fix a salvageable original is well worth it. Nice work.
+ 1 on that, I have a gap on the passenger fender to door that is 1/2"" wide. I need to get that fixed but other things are pressing.

Back