• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Different Taillight Housings/Connections?

stump

Are all '65,'66 taillight housings and connections the same? Do they all use the round plug on the fixed housing connector?

When I read the NPD or M/U catalogs, I get the impression they differ between "early style" ('65) and one using "removal extension wires" ('65-'66). What is the difference, if any, between a "pigtail" and a "removable extension wire"?

I know that some taillight harnesses come with the plug attached, and some with connectors, but do they both attach to the same type housing?

I'm confused because I ordered what I thought would be different from the "pigtail" type housing I had, and received the exact same thing...

I believe there is only one crappy type of connection that is actually "in" the tail light housing. The cup with the center pin.

"AzPete" said:
I believe there is only one crappy type of connection that is actually "in" the tail light housing. The cup with the center pin.

Can you substitute with one from a different year?

"stump" said:
Are all '65,'66 taillight housings and connections the same? Do they all use the round plug on the fixed housing connector?

When I read the NPD or M/U catalogs, I get the impression they differ between "early style" ('65) and one using "removal extension wires" ('65-'66). What is the difference, if any, between a "pigtail" and a "removable extension wire"?

I know that some taillight harnesses come with the plug attached, and some with connectors, but do they both attach to the same type housing?

I'm confused because I ordered what I thought would be different from the "pigtail" type housing I had, and received the exact same thing...

The actual connector to the tail-light bucket are the same for both years. The OEM harness has an integral connector to the harness; the repro's end up with bullet connectors along with a pigtail that mates to these bullet connectors and has the bucket connector on the other end. I believe Ford made the pigtail to facilitate repairs, and the repro manufacturers went along with it.

"Midlife" said:
The actual connector to the tail-light bucket are the same for both years. The OEM harness has an integral connector to the harness; the repro's end up with bullet connectors along with a pigtail that mates to these bullet connectors and has the bucket connector on the other end. I believe Ford made the pigtail to facilitate repairs, and the repro manufacturers went along with it.

Thanks! Are these "bucket" connectors known to have connection problems? I was looking for an alternative because my new harness (with built-in connectors), nor the replacement pigtails I bought to correct the connection problem, worked consistantly. I figured since I was buying new housings, I'd buy a different type. Since I'm stuck with this style, hopefully, the new housing will solve the problem...

No, the pigtails definitely have a problem making consistent connections. I constantly have to rotate them relative to the bucket so that both lights have connectivity. I've yet been able to determine why...

Has anyone tried modifing the housing to accept a newer, snap-in, type bulb socket? Any reason why this wouldn't work if your not concerned with being original?

One in my last '66 had been changed by the PO. The difference was the depth at which the bulb sat into the bucket. The changed one placed the bulb close to the lens. It had MP's sequentials so heat was not ma problem. I did have to rig the mounting so the lights sat at the same level to match appearance side to side. The new socket appeared to be held in with JB Weld or some other type of liquid metal. Function was fine and if you did both, position would match. Just try to get a socket that places the bulb deep into the bucket to clear the lens better.

I hadn't thought about the bulb set too close to the lens. I assume I can use any two filament bulb?

Yes, just like any tail light that is a double filament. If you watch the type of socket you buy, you should be able to keep the bulb sitting deeper in the bucket.

Back