• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Disappointed in Mustang Monthly quarter panel article

classicdoug

I was going through June's Mustang Monthly when I happened upon an article for replacing a quarter panel. Being a shop owner and bodyman, I thought I would read it. I was disappointed when they bought a complete quarter panel and then decided to not install the whole thing. I read the article and thought to myself I wouldn't do it this way, but to each his own. Then when I saw that they just spot welded the all the way down the top of the quarter panel and spread bondo over it, I couldn't believe it. If you're going to do it half a$$, then at least do it good. My problem is that I run into this kind of work all the time and have to rip it out and redo it the right way. How many people are going to read this article and try it themselves this same exact way? Shame on you Mustang Monthly.

Doug

I have to agree with you on this one, I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw them spreading dough over that stitched panel! At least glue it if your not gonna do it right.

I'm not a body person and that one even surprised me. Their reason for not using the whole panel was to preserve the original date codes, which I can kinda understand.

Frank

I got over the part of not using the whole panel to save the dates. My jaw hit the floor when they put spot welds about an inch apart and then just spread bondo over an unwelded seam. The question is not "if" the bondo will crack. The question is "when" will it crack.

Doug

They justified using a shartty repair to preserve date codes?

That is dumb!

I gave up on MM about 5 years ago.

I couldn't believe that article when I first saw it. My guess is there'll be a lot more half-assed quarter panel repairs out there using that article as a "guide."

Back