• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Disc Brakes with Drums in Rear

A

Anonymous

I was wondering. With todays technology is there any reason to convert the rear drums to disc and if so, do I really need to change out my master cylinder?

Not all cars today are built with 4 wheel discs. That tells me something. Not that 4 wheel discs don't have a benefit. I think it's more of a personal preference unless you're racing or even dd'ing it.

There isn't a huge benefit from rear discs on a street car. The auto industry started doing that as a performance improvement a while back, then realized that it doesn't really help that much for a lot of street vehicles, especially econoboxes and trucks, so now we're starting to see rear drums return to a lot of vehicles. Rear drums are much cheaper, and for the rear they generally work just fine.

That said, if you plan on tracking the car, rear discs are probably a good idea. Discs give a more linear braking quality and they don't fade like drums do. You'll likely never encounter fade on rear drums while street driving, but on a track you're more likely to see a little fade in the rear.

Thanks. That is what I expected and since one of you already posted pics on how to paint and restore the rear end I will be doing that soon.

Glad to see this up here 'cause I was contemplating the same thing, rear drum or disc. Still not decided, but the fact that discs look better weighs heavy...

Look how sexy that looks.........

541371_284_full.jpg
541371_82_full.jpg

It does look good but my money goes toward real performance and stability before I spend it on brakes. I will probably go that route eventually though but first I need to make the car as modern as possible but still keep it looking original. Just my 2 cents.

Back