• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dishwasher Suds

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Last night, our dishwasher overflowed with suds. Got online, checked out the typical causes, and found the float works, the drain works, the temperature is correct...nothing appears to be wrong. Cleaned out the soap dispenser (found a nice brick of soap in there), and ran the dishwasher through a cycle with one, then another cup of white vinegar (to cut the sudsing action). Wifey says she ran it four more times after I went to sleep, and said it finally stopped sudsing.

I believe she is using too much soap, and the dishwasher isn't flushing the soap completely out of the machine, and may be clogging up the jets. She refuses to believe she's using too much soap. Now she's running it once with soap, and sure enough, its sudsing.

What to do? Any suggestions? She wants a new machine...sigh.

Hey! It says this forum is for clean things not related to Mustangs...

SWMBO finally gave in, and is calling in a local appliance repair outfit to further troubleshoot. I'm convinced its either the motor going out, the jets are clogging, or too much soap. She'll listen to others, but not to me.

*sigh*

I'll provide an update tomorrow on what the results are.

In the meantime, any donations to the nearly empty Bank of Midlife would be greatly appreciated.
bofm1.jpg

"Laurie S." said:
Get a big dog and let him lick the plates clean. :icon_pirat:

That's the pre-wash cycle, Laurie. Gotta love them kitchen sharks.

By chance has she changed soap brand?

Looks like the bank is pretty full......

Are the door seals good?

Tell her that Ike is on its way, while she is in "that room" get it fixed.

And now for the elucidation of the problem!

The technician determined that the jet-dry dispenser is leaking chronically, and the cap needs replacing! A $50 service call and a $19 part (now on order from Jacksonville) is what it cost. If the new cap doesn't work, then it's time for a new machine. The tech recommended a Whirlpool (we currently have a POS GE). He did not recommend a Fisher-Keitel.

I knew it had something to do with the soap, but I wasn't suspecting the jet-dry crap. Apparently, it can cause sudsing if applied in excess. It's an automatic dispenser: you fill the damn thing up once a month or so and let it do its thing.

Would it be possible to use a different type of jet dry system if the cap does not work? Possibly save a couple of bucks.

Bah! Not out of the woods just yet. It'll probably take a week or so to get the part.

And Pete: SWMBO claims the dishwasher will blow up if one doesn't use jet-dry. I'm pretty sure it won't, but you know about her and the upcoming apocalypses...

Well, we got the replacement part yesterday, and ran the dishwasher 3-4 times w/o dishes. The sudsing was definitely reduced. But not enough to satisfy the SWMBO.

Guess who is single-handedly gonna pull the US economy out of its recession? Yup...yours truly. She's ordering a new dishwasher now. *sigh*

"cmayna" said:
I assume you didn't consider washing the dishes by hand ?

Who, Me? Hell no! SWMBO does that. My job is to clear as much food off of the plate before the plate goes back to the kitchen/restaurant before initial removal of food particles. I'm good at that, BTW...

Back