• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Disk Brake conversion....here goes Nuthin

Makedust

So I drove up to Marble Falls and bought up my power disk brake conversion kit.
My 70 has manual drums on all four.
I’m keeping the rear drums and just doing front disc and booster combo.
Im going to have to remove the front seat and partially dismantle the dash just to make it easier to access.
I’m capable of doing it since it hasn’t been the first time I’ve stripped the car down.
Any pointers in the install?
Any tricks to getting the proportioning valve adjusted right?
Thanks in advance.

The prop valve isn't too hard. Find a good open lot, better if its wet. Adjust the valve all the way open and go 10 mph and then hit the brakes while watching the rear wheels. If they lock up before the front, turn the valve close a little bit maybe 1/4-1/2 turn and repeat until the rear wheels no longer lock up before the front.

I've done brake swaps multiple times on my coupe and now on the fastback. It's not hard, just take your time. I guess you got a kit from Dennis? He's up in that area I believe. Great kits. Hardest part about the install is installing the power brake pedal. Its a pretty tight spot in an assembled car. Taking the seat out helps alot.

The prop valve isn't too hard. Find a good open lot, better if its wet. Adjust the valve all the way open and go 10 mph and then hit the brakes while watching the rear wheels. If they lock up before the front, turn the valve close a little bit maybe 1/4-1/2 turn and repeat until the rear wheels no longer lock up before the front.

I've done brake swaps multiple times on my coupe and now on the fastback. It's not hard, just take your time. I guess you got a kit from Dennis? He's up in that area I believe. Great kits. Hardest part about the install is installing the power brake pedal. Its a pretty tight spot in an assembled car. Taking the seat out helps alot.
I had factory front disc brakes on my 65 with the Lockheed prop valve. I ended up replacing the original prop valve as I had continued leaks with it. I bough a Wilwood prop valve and did exactly what Boom stated. Went to a parking lot and made some stops to get it 'right'. It just takes time.

Thanks for the good advice.
Been working too much to really get Into the dismantling stage yet but I hope to start soon.

Back