• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Distributor control valve (?) un-wiring question

A while back, I posted a question about what appears to be an aftermarket distributor control valve on my 68:

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/inde ... #msg112755

I am trying to determine how best to remove the thing. I know that there was a wire to the valve from the + side of the coil. The other wire from the valve leads to a flat 3 wire connector that goes into the firewall above the accelerator pedal (the connector closest to the master cylinder in the picture below.) The wire from the valve is in the middle, with the wire from the temperature sensor on one side and a wire from the + side of the coil on the other. When I crawl under the dash, I can't tell where the wires go. Does anyone have an idea where the valve may be wired to? To further complicate things, I suspect that this connector was supposed to have the oil pressure gauge wire. This gauge is now wired by a single wire that passes through the firewall in the hole for the speedo cable.

Would it be safe to just unplug the wire from the valve to the connector? I am worried that I might cause a short or some other electrical problem.

TIA

Attachments

• dist vac ctrl valve 1.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 45
  • dist vac ctrl valve 4.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 48
The three prong connector should be coil run, oil pressure, water temperature. Not sure why a "valve" line would be tied into one of the sensor lines.

Remove the valve and wires from it and toss it in the trash can.
It is a bad attempt at timing control for smog that never really worked.
Mid is right, the 3 wire flat plug is Bl/gr to water, wh/rd to oil and rd/gr to coil+

As to having a seprate lead from oil sending unit, Trace wire back and locate where it really goes.
Poss prev owner did a shortcut repair.

I guess I'll have to break down and pull the instrument cluster to trace the wiring. Hopefully I can return the oil pressure wiring to its original route from the firewall to the gauge. When I get to it, I'll probably ask for more help!

Thanks,

I have the car back together and running. I removed the aftermarket vacuum advance switch completely. I left the wire that used to run to it from the instrument panel (that should be wired to the oil pressure sender) taped up and tucked out of the way.

The car is running better with the new summit carb than it ever did before, even better than with the new 2100 that I installed years ago. :)

Back