• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Distributor with oiler

monkeystash

What is the proper way to oil the distributor? By that I mean how much oil, how often, and what kind. I can't find anything about it in my FSM. Thanks.

Gee, the only thing I remember is that if you're using points, a small dab of grease is needed on the distributor shaft where the points ride against. In the older days (before our Mustang?), the dizzy needed to be greased to keep the bushings lubricated, but I suspect by the time of our Mustangs, it was done automatically by design using engine oil. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

The shaft has a brass bushing which shouldn't need lubrication, just like the pilot bushing. I don't really think you need to lube anything else. I suspect that's why it's not in the FSM

This is the dizzy on my '63 Fairlane with a 260 2V. Here is a picture, crappy small but none-the-less. It's a spring loaded door called the oiler. I did just find in the FSM maintenance section that it says oil as required with 10W oil. I guess I'll squirt a little in there.

53_07_10_08_9_38_32.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a few with that same oiler hole. I was always told to oil it when I changed the engine oil. I was tiold to pump the small tube full, run the car to operating temps, and refill the tube if necessary. This allows for a dry unit to get soaked good and then fill so it should last to the next oil change. I always used a bit of light weight oil.

Back