• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

DOH! electrical snafu in the shop

sigtauenus

I just finished running the feed to the sub panel in my outdoor shed. I had the shed itself wired for about a year now and just got around to digging the ditch for the feed.

As I was wiring up the main breaker in the sub panel, I noticed that my 30A 240V circuit to my 30A outlet for the air compressor was wired with 10-2 instead of 10-3.

@#$%%^^!! WTH was I thinking when I did that?

Fortunately I noticed it before I tried hooking up the compressor.

Can I just get 25 feet of single #10 solid copper to run the second hot wire with, or do I need to yank out the 10-2 and replace it with 10-3? I guess the real question is, can you wire a circuit with 2 separate wires or does it need to all be within the same romex sheathing?

You could pull another 10-2 wire. And cut off the non used wire. IMO, its better to have a sheath for extra protection instead of a single 10 gauge wire, but all 3 wires need not be in the same sheath. But if you have to buy more 10-2 to do that, you might as well just run the 10-3.

Connect the new 10-3 feed to a end of the 10-2 feed and pull it through the ditch ?? Possible ? :confu :confu

Have you thought about going to the wireless system? :yah

"sigtauenus" said:
Can I just get 25 feet of single #10 solid copper to run the second hot wire with, or do I need to yank out the 10-2 and replace it with 10-3?

You can - it will work fine. However, you might have an issue if you sell the house. Inspectors won't like it, and some states codes require sheathed cables in 'exposed' (read: accesible) wiring locations.

But, you can deal with that then, doesn't sound like your moving soon...

OK, something to think about then. Will most likely just yank the 10-2 and replace it with 10-3.

Fortunately the wire in the ditch is fine, I just need to fix the line from the sub panel to the compressor in the shed itself. The existing 10-2 wire is run up the wall that the panel is on, then through the ceiling and down the wall the compressor is on.

Think that it isn't that much of work to rewire.Or isn't the existing wire feed channelled in a plastic tube?? ( don't know the exact term)

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I don't mind doing the work, its just painful right now buying copper. 50 feet of 10-3 is $100 these days. That's crazy.

Yep , it hurts paying twice for material and doing the same job all over again. :bomb :bomb

"sigtauenus" said:
Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I don't mind doing the work, its just painful right now buying copper. 50 feet of 10-3 is $100 these days. That's crazy.

Is that a Home Depot price? I found that buying materials at an electrical supply store is typically less expensive than buying from HD / Lowes etc... If you go to the places that tend to deal with tradesmen more, you tend to get pricing closer to what they get.

Back