• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Doing fine after scheduled surgery on Thursday

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I had 3 cervical disks removed and four vertebrae fused yesterday for spinal stenosis. This appears to be a congenital condition, as I remember as a small child pinched nerves (shooting pain) in my neck. MRI's showed the spinal column full of bone spurs and arthritic buildup with no spaces for expansion. For the past 15 years, I've had 8-12 weeks of muscle spasms in my neck, which pinched even more nerves and positively feed-back to the muscle spasms. I'd wake up at night with this condition, being able to clear it up after 45 minutes of various maneuvers, then go back to sleep only to have another set of muscle spasms/pinched nerves. Essentially, I'd have about 3 hours of sleep total per night for 8-12 weeks.

On top of all of this, my arms and finger tips were numb, I've been losing fine motor skills (I can't start a nut on a bolt anymore, etc.). This is one reason why I sold Midlife late last year: I simply couldn't work on it anymore. I've been postponing surgery for about 4 years, got a second opinion (yup, you need surgery), and decided to bite the bullet. Just got home from an over-night stay at the hospital (thanks AZPete for driving me to/from the hospital). I'm now wearing a neck brace for 4 weeks and will be out of commission for 4 weeks. I hope by the week of Thanksgiving, I can get back to harness work, when the lifting weight allowance is increased to 20-30#. Right now, I am not to lift anything greater than 5 pounds, something like a few can of beers.

Feeling pretty good (it has to be the good drugs!) at the moment. The surgery can't compare to to what Mark is going through, so I don't want to take away from his problems.

Ahhh....four weeks of doing nothing except reading and taking naps. Can't ask for better recovery efforts!

Good.luck on your recovery Mid.

From Infinity and beyond

Never Argue With A Moron– They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

how heavy is a ladle full of ice cream? Good to hear your recovering.
And with only 3 hours of sleep it all makes sense..

Sorry to hear the news, but glad you finally got the surgery! Don't worry about taking anything away from me, I have plenty to spare o_O

Just make sure you do what the docs say, rest...PT, whatever!

Wish you well on a speedy recovery Randy. I personally know how difficult it can be to suffer with nerve issues. Hopefully this will finally provide you relief. Good news, a bottle of YJ doesn't exceed your weight limits!;)

My wife and brother have both had spinal surgery, and our son is next on the list. Take your time and take it slow- everyone reacts differently to the surgery/drugs. I'm lifting an Angry Orchard Hard Cider in your honor as I write this, so here's to a full recovery.

"I am not to lift anything greater than 5 pounds"

Then how will you piss??????:eek::rolleyes:

Take it easy Randy.;)

Mikey: it Depends.

Biggest issue at the moment is that my esophagus is incredibly sore, as it was moved aside during surgery. It is quite painful to swallow food or liquids. Shaving is a bitch as well, as the bandages used left a lot of the stickem on my skin and that jams the razor blades. I'm still finding random patches for EKG and other monitoring devices. Thanks for all the kind words and thank you to the Doctor for prescribing some good drugs!

Back