• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Door Latch Stuck

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic but closest i could find.

Ok,

In the process of replacing my door handles. (Driver Side) door latched is in the closed position (door open) and it will not unlatch. I ensured it is not locked. I obviously had the door panels off to replace the latch so i can get to the inside of the latch, i lubricated the latch from the inside. I ensured that all the rods are properly connected and the push button on the latch does move the push rod when pressed. I cannot figure this one out but now my door wont latch. Im looking to get this handled and buttoned up tomorrow with this great PA weather. Please help.

James

About the only thing you can do is remove the rods and see if it is a latch problem or a rod problem. Ensure the latch works, then add the rods, one at a time to ensure function.

What exactly is the problem? You stated the door won't unlatch and also that it won't latch, which is it?

Is the door open and the latch is shut and you can't open the latch to engage the striker, or the door is shut but falls open by itself because the latch won't stay shut?

There is a spring on the latch that holds its shut. If that spring is rusted or otherwise comes apart, the latch won't function correctly. I'll try to remember to post a pic later as I have a latch out of the car right now and can easily get a picture of what I'm talking about.

Ok,

To clarify the door is currently open withe the latch closed. So when i shut the door it will not engage the striker it just bounces off due to the latch being closed

Thanks

OK, got it. I've had that happen before too and I still think it is related to the mechanism on the back side of the latch. I'll post some pics later tonight after I get home unless somebody beats me to it.

Can you post a picture? I think you should be able to push the button and separate the upper and lower teeth (not sure what they are called) with a screwdriver or finger.

Yep. Sounds like you just need to "pop" the catch into the open state to allow it to close. Make sure it is lubed up and you should be good to go.

This will be tough to do without taking the time to photoshop in some arrows, but here goes...

Back side of latch. There are 3 springs that hold levers in place, with the clean looking one being the only one available to replace that I know of. The clean looking one is the one that keeps the door latched, ie, holds it shut when its closed. The rusty looking one on the bottom is attached to the levers that you push on the handle outside or pull handle inside to open the door. There is one more spring on the left side as pictured that you can't really see. Its attached to the locking lever, which is the one about 1/3 down from the top that goes sideways with a fitting for the key cylinder and the lock knob.
427_01_04_10_3_34_42_0.jpg

In this side view, the verticle bar is hooked to the lock lever. In this picture the door is locked. When you pull the lever to open the door, that bar goes up but does not engage the little peg sticking out that releases the latch. Upper left corner as pictured there is a rectangular hole in the assembly with a little peg sticking out. That peg is what releases the latch.
427_01_04_10_3_34_42_1.jpg

This picture is what you normally have with the door open and the latch disengaged, ie, ready to shut the door.
427_01_04_10_3_34_42_2.jpg

This picture is what you normally have with the door shut and engaged on the latch striker. Notice there is a notch in the upper lever that is engaged on a another lever. Follow that second lever down and you will see some gears where it engages with the other side of the latch piece. If that upper lever is not in the raised position, you will not be able to force the latch open.
427_01_04_10_3_34_42_3.jpg

If you are unable to open the latch, reach in and feel around the top of the latch and feel for that peg that sticks out. You can lift it up with your fingers and it will release the latch. Assuming the door is unlocked, there is nothing mechanically that keeps your door handles from opening the latch even if one or more of the springs are broken.

nice post, you should copy that into the tech articles, I'm sure many will find it useful. nice job with all the pics and everything.

"tarafied1" said:
nice post, you should copy that into the tech articles, I'm sure many will find it useful. nice job with all the pics and everything.

Thanks. Hopefully it helps.

If I copy it to the tech articles I'll photoshop some circles and arrows into the pics, and maybe even make a youtube video showing all the levers moving and what-not.

Hey all thanks for your quick response. sigtauenus thats for the detailed post, i figured it out this morning. I took the latch out and basically forced the two cogs apart with a screwdriver, not quite sure of the exact problem but it works now and thats all i needed. Thanks again

Back