• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Door Skin install

So i did some searching around the site and found no links to anyone doing skin installs to there car so I figured Id ask for advice and things to look out for when I do my 69 mustang door skins.

Whats the best way to install the door hinges and locks? Ill have to attach these to the door skin before i can install the new door skin correct? Any info or help will be appreciated.

Ill create a full how to so ppl can just search it in the future.

I would re-skin the door without anything attached. The latches are press-fitted with a sliding C-pin; the door hinges just require the plates to be slid into place and are not permanently fastened to the door.

Make darn sure that you match the body lines with the door on the car prior to the final welding of the skin to the frame. Once done, there is no going back. The PO of my silver car did a crappy job and it is hard to fix.

The thickness of the metal used can change the way the body lines match to the door also. Just take your time and do it right.

Yes. It all has to be able to come off for replacement without having to remove the door skin. It just takes working blind in tight places to install it all.

Whats the best way to install the door hinges and locks? Ill have to attach these to the door skin before i can install the new door skin correct?

I believe you're confused as to what the door skin actually consists of.... it's only the very outer skin/panel (that's visible when the door is closed) that's welded onto the door's shell structure. Your door hinges and latch mechanism do not mount onto a new door skin, they mount onto the door shell.

Yes, and that area is available thru openings in the inside of the door shell/frame. Mount the skin and then load the door with all the internal parts.

I almost went the path of replacing a door skin. My door was infected with a lot of surface rust, but phosphoric acid worked well enough and a lot of filler seemed to do ok. I was warded off when someone said it was quite a task (Hell, isn't everything a task?), but that was in my initial phase of restoration~ I would probably attempt it now, but still, don't you need some sort of tool to roll the flange over/or flap? I think I would have probably bought a door shell before replacing a door skin or find a reasonable replacement door. Just chiming in~ I'm not an expert, don't listen to me! :nta

" would probably attempt it now, but still, don't you need some sort of tool to roll the flange over/or flap?"

You can buy one, or you can use a hammer and dolly.

"Gigantopithecus" said:
" would probably attempt it now, but still, don't you need some sort of tool to roll the flange over/or flap?"

You can buy one, or you can use a hammer and dolly.

With hammer and dolly or even with the tool, don't attempt to fold the skin over in one pass. Take several passes, folding the skin a little at a time.

need some help with the linkage for the lock and door handle. The door handle linkage hooks up with the lock linkage also or does it mount with the one in the pic. Also in the second pic is this all that holds the lock linkage in place?

I'm not sure what you're talking about in the first picture, but....

Also in the second pic is this all that holds the lock linkage in place?

Yes, the linkage is retained to the lock cylinder only by that little metal clip thingy.

Im talking about the linkage for door handle and lock mount side by side on the one hinge or on seperate ones.

i need a better pic of the linkage i think.... ill try to get a better one tonight.

Back