• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Drip rail delete

Choptop69

I know, I know, it has taken long enough. Sorry. Here is the way that we delete the drip rails.

First thing the tools

Photo02190930.jpg

Yes, you can use others but these are what I use. Now, a look at the drip rails.
Photo02190927_1.jpg

Now its time for the sawzall. Start at the bottom of the drip rail where it meets the quarter, cutting along the flat edge of the quarter and the roof. Cut all the way down. When the drip rail is off of it should look like this.

Photo02190939-1.jpg

Now for tons of fun and grinding, unless while using the saw you cut a perfectly straight line. Grind till you are flush with the drip rail/ roof edge.
Photo02191059.jpg

After the outer edge is smooth, feel the bottom side of the roof/drip rail. there will be a small lip.
If you like the lip leave it, I do not, makes it harder to do body work later, so I grind the bottom edge off. Now for some welding. You will need to be a decent welder here, very thin edges and upside down welding. You should have a small gap like this, in some spots use the vise grips to close the gap.
Photo02191103.jpg
Photo02191104.jpg

Now start welding. The curve at the front and rear of the opening is the hardest welding, it will blow out. Just take your time. Now grind to a smooth finish.
Photo02191110.jpg

Body work will be next, coming soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Johnny M" said:
Is it to enhance looks only?
For me, I think the drip rail enhances the look. Plus (going by memory here as my car is not on the road), it gave me a great place to rest my fingers as I cruised along.

Back