• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dropping some parts off to be blasted tomorrow.

monkeystash

I'm sick and tired of the mess my Harbor Freight pressure blaster makes, and how fast it uses media. I've decided to farm out a few last parts: hood, one door, and deck lid. First, I called around about having them soda blasted, since it's the "next best thing." Nobody was really interested in doing car parts, except one guy who wanted $450-$500. Ummm, I don't think so. ~??? So I found this one place called Rustbusters who uses plastic media for blasting and charges $45/hour. He thought 3-4 hours, sold! Anyway, their main business is rust repair by spraying galvanized metal onto a rust hole which then gets filled, then ground down. Really neat process that I've never heard of. Check out the website, and I hope to see it in action in person tomorrow.

http://rustbusters.com/works.html

Are you talking about the pressurized tank type blaster? I have it from HBF too. It's makes a mess and does use a lot of media! I bought a cabinet blaster yesterday from them, it's very nice and works well, of course only for the smaller items. If i had a large large area that I didn't care about getting aluminum oxide all over the place, I might use it more.

We have numerous sources for media blasting auto parts. The people who blasted Shag also does loose parts on the side.
I have a HF media cabinet for small items which I modified to make it a lot more effiecient. Love it. I've always wondered about the mess that soda blasting makes.

Dropped the parts off today. The owner never showed up, so I had to leave them with his cronies. We had a 12 noon appointment; I can already see the way this is going. ~rey He said they'd be done by Friday, but I won't hold my breath. Big shop with lots of cars and the craftsmanship seemed good. I saw the spray welder machine and some finished metal work. It looked good, just like leadwork. Neat process. I'll post later how the media blasting went.

Ryan,
It might be just a coincidence....but I just bought a bunch of cheap fastback body parts from the Atlanta craigslist...

I picked up my parts and they look real nice, and they were done on time. I ended up talking with the owner for about an hour, nice guy. They actually have done most of the blasting for the Year One Bandit cars, that Firebird vert from Musclecar, AJ's Firebird's, and a few more. Overall good experience, and glad to have clean, bare sheetmetal.

Back