• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

E brake handle

Well, the E brake handle finally gave up the ghost and broke. I've had the new Billet handle on the workbench for a couple weeks now....

How if the @$#* do you get that little pin out of the E-brake rod? I cut most of the black handle off, but that little pin is being a real bear.

It's been a while since I replaced mine, but I think I just beat it in to submission with a hammer and a small punch.

OK, first thing do not cut the handle off! :lol :lol :lol :lol

You need to take the handle off the car and take it to the bench and use a drift punch and pound it out.

Mel

How would you pound it out, the pin does not go all the way through the e-brake rod and there is not enough left to pull it out? Maybe mine was already broke because it was flush with the plastic on the handle.

I used a dremel to cut off the handle and the metal under the platic. Take it slow and easy so you don't grind the shaft. When that was almost all the way cut I put a screw drive in the groove I made with the dremel and twisted until it came off. The pin came out with a pair of plyers at that point. It took about 15 minutes to get it replaced IIRC. The sore back from lying under the dash took about a week to feel better. :lol

Wow, pic please. I can't visualize it. I think once it is on the bench you will be able to deal with it much better. You also will have a cleaner install of the new one.

Mel

Rick,

Hope I not too late to the party. I just did this a couple weeks ago. The pin is not long. You punch it in enough to get the handle off. Once the handle is off, you can punch it all the way through.

BTW: Which handle did you get?

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll try the dremel idea. I cant imagine that I can punch whats left of the pin. The edges of the pin seen to be knurled up so the stick inside the plastic of the handle. I tried grabbing it with pliers and vice grips. I eventually gave up as I had to take my son to a b-day party.

John, I have the same handle you just installed. Its a really nice piece, but I am contemplating having it powder coated black, it may be just a little to much bling. I dont need the pin since the new handle has the set screw.

I felt the billet was a bit much as well so I toned it down a bit. I painted the recessed areas black and left the rest billet. It looks better but still may be a bit flashy for some.

IMGP1277.jpg

It is the Lokar pedal setup. Great quality stuff. Pretty dirty at that time but you get the idea. If I had the original pedals I may have painted the whole handle. Since I had a little bling what is a little bit more. :ecit

Back