• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Eastwood Mig175 and Plasma cutter

68EFIvert

Has anyone used the Eastwood Mig175 or Versa Plasma cutter? They are having a sale that is $800 for both. I have a small 140 Century welder and it works well for small stuff. I am looking at a larger 220v welder for larger stuff. What do you guys think?

I may just take the gamble and see how they work. I have read good things about them on garagejournal.com and it makes me feel a bit more comfortable.

I am having problems getting the title for the Volvo. :guns Once that gets taken care of I plan on disassembly. My first purchase will be a MII front end so that the 400 hp ls engine will fit. :yah

What is the item number for that kit? I've been considering replacing my Lincon 135plus for the larger 175 unit as well.

Do you know if this welder has the tip live all the time that the unit is on, or only when the trigger is depressed? Seems like a good deal, let us know how it works.

That question came up on Garagejournal.com and the tip is not hot all the time. The guy from eastwood said that it is basically the same as their 135 Mig that he owns. He said once in a while a little flash which occasionally happens with my Lincoln made Century welder. In addition the consumables are the same as most US made welders and plasma cutters so you can go to the local welding supply house for parts. I'll find that out when I get it in about a week. I will need to go pick up a tip for gas welding and the appropriate size tip for .030 wire.

So Darreld, have you used this set yet? I ordered one too, and looks like it was put together very well. I can't wait to try it out, but i need to pick up a gas refill before i can weld anything.

I haven't received it yet. it was back ordered until the 27th and is on the way now. I won't get it until the 5th. I am glad to hear I was not alone on this purchase. Let me know what you think if you get yours before me. I am all ears. :Mark

Finally had a chance to use the welder. I had to have the electrician come back to my house and put in the right plug for my 220v in the garage. The put in a dryer plug rather than a welder plug. I then tried out the mig tonight on a couple spot welds and it works well. Did't spend much time out there welding but did enough to see I was getting good penetration on 3/16". In fact the heat was a little high on the recommended setting on the door. I had to dial it down a little. Tomorrow I hope to get a chance to cut some metal with the Plasma.

I fired mine up yesterday for the first time too. I was really impressed with the power of the machine. I only had sheet metal, and some 1/8 plate laying around the garage. The Plasma cut through the plate like it was butter, and it was on a pretty low setting. I was really impressed. Thanks for the heads up on the special.

I used the plasma today on 1/4" plate. It cut that well. It will take some playing with the controls to make full use of the machine. Overall I am very happy.

Instead of starting a new thread, just bringing this one back should get me the answer I am looking for. I am ready to buy my first MIG welder, and the Eastwood 175 is close to the top of the list. Just wondering if you guys had any feedback after owning them a while? It seems to have the power, features, and price point I am looking for. Thanks guys.

I use my welder all the time on various things other than the car. Just used the plasma cutter last weekend to modify some old valve covers to use when checking/adjusting rockers. Best tools I've ever bought. I've had both since early 1997. They are a Daytona Mig and plasma cutter, who are no longer in business.

I like both of them. I used the plasma last night to start a mini tub project and the welder two days ago for suspension work. I am a novice welder and have to play with the machine to get what I think is a good weld. After reading some on here the last day or so I think I am running too much gas. Overall the welder works well and I have no complaints. I would buy it again. The plasma has been perfect from day one and saves a lot of time!

Back