• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Edelbrock Carb Tuner

What is the best way to tune an Edelbrock carb?

• Step-by-Step as per Edelbrock's directions

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Based on vacuum gauge readings

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Buy a Holley

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
"Midlife" said:
The answer is D. Get an Autolite 4100.

Or get the much improved summit version of a 4100.

sum-m08750vs_w.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08750VS/?

Pfffft. Tune the damn thing. It'll take some doing, but no more than a Holley. You just have to know how to work with it. You also need to buy a tune kit.

The tuning methods in the instruction manual are probably the best way to get things done, but not always the easiest or most realistic. I've managed to get by with mostly seat-of-the-pants testing. Change something, drive the car, change something else, etc. That said, using the exhaust sniffer at the shop made life a little easier last year.

What kind of problems are you having?

"Starfury" said:
Pfffft. Tune the damn thing. It'll take some doing, but no more than a Holley. You just have to know how to work with it. You also need to buy a tune kit.

The tuning methods in the instruction manual are probably the best way to get things done, but not always the easiest or most realistic. I've managed to get by with mostly seat-of-the-pants testing. Change something, drive the car, change something else, etc. That said, using the exhaust sniffer at the shop made life a little easier last year.

What kind of problems are you having?

Predominantly an off-idle bog that also continues into when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. I've already changed the step-up springs to the blue ones and that seemed to have made a difference, but it still bogs a bit.

I've read on other websites that people have a difficult time getting the Edelbrocks to work right. That includes Edelbrock techs!

If I can get mine running on my motor, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get yours working on your motor.

Do you have an auto or manual? Have you played around with the accelerator linkage adjustment? How about the idle mix screws?

Also, how's your timing? If your timing isn't set properly (both initial and advance curve), you're going to be chasing your tail looking for carb adjustment problems.

Back