• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

electrical fuel pump ......again

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
Got the fastback on the road last weekend and after awhile, my mechanical fuel pump said goodbye.
Luckely I got home without any towtruck involved.
I am planning to install an electrical fuel pump because I can build in some kind of security into this system.
Here is what I have in mind.Any comments are welcome about this electrical scheme.
It isn't a professionel made scheme ( paint) but I think you can figure it out.

I think the push button momentary switch may need to be on the ground side, bypassing the low oil switch, so you can pre prime the fuel system before turning the engine over.

You should also add in an inertia switch so that if the car is hit and the engine does not die on it's own then the fuel pump will still shut off. You can wire that in series where you currently have the push button switch on the 12v line. I mounted my inertia switch in the brace that the trunk lock mechanism is also attached.

"stangg" said:
I think the push button momentary switch may need to be on the ground side, bypassing the low oil switch, so you can pre prime the fuel system before turning the engine over.

You should also add in an inertia switch so that if the car is hit and the engine does not die on it's own then the fuel pump will still shut off. You can wire that in series where you currently have the push button switch on the 12v line. I mounted my inertia switch in the brace that the trunk lock mechanism is also attached.
The fastback should start with the fuel still in the carburator.
You have a good point regarding an inertia switch but such things ain't for grab around here.
Position is in the trunk like the foxbodies seems to be a good idea to .
"cmayna" said:
I hope your electrical fuel pump is not too loud.
Yes Craig , I too don't like that noise in the behind but I think I have a good one.
Still mounted on some rubber cushions.
see pic

BTW
The oil pressure switch is for safety ( in conjunction with an inertia switch later on).
The push button some sort of anti theft.

Ah I get it now with the diode... Once energized from the push button switch, the load power passing through the relay then keeps the trigger energized ... I like that!!!

But I still think you should put a momentary switch on the ground side incase the carb is drained and you need to prime the pump.

If it is powered by a source that does not shut off with the key in the start position, the push button can be activated once the key is in the run position (before starting) if the carb is dry.

"AzPete" said:
If it is powered by a source that does not shut off with the key in the start position, the push button can be activated once the key is in the run position (before starting) if the carb is dry.

But since there's the oil pressure switch on the ground side, the relay won't energize if there's no oil pressure.

True......forgot that item. Was just thinking of the inertia switch.

Is the oil switch really needed? If the just engine stops....fuel flow to the carb would stop due to no demand. If the engine stops due to an accident, the inertia switch would stop the flow.

Also needed is a good pressure gauge....IMHO...

Well , I preferre an inertia switch over an oil pressure switch.
But an inertia switch is harder to find over here.

You can find them on Ebay for less than $20 and Summit sells them new. I have one mounted near the seat so if it trips, I can reset it easily. This one is from a mid 80's Mustang:

IMG_1152.jpg

Back