• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Enclosed car trailers

Grabber70Mach

Thinking of getting enclosed trailer, looking at one about 24'. Not sure if a V nose is any better than the standard flat nose, does one toe better than the other? Is there any particular brands to stay away from?

I have a 2001 22-foot-long Wells Cargo trailer and I love it. I bought it after two friends had theirs for a couple of years and so got to see how it held up and traveled. It tows like a dream, but then I tow it with an F-250 Superduty. Don't use an underpowered tow vehicle, it's dangerous, costly, and ineffective.

When I first got the trailer, I didn't have my F-250 and trailered from Tucson to Pensacola and back with my F-150. I couldn't climb a steep hill above 45 mph and the truck averaged 6 to 7 mpg. With my F-250, I averge 11 to 12 mpg and I can climb anything. I climbed the Grapevine today at nearly 70 mph and was passing cars. LOL

My trailer has a rounded upper front, which helps divert the wind. It's better than a completely flat front. The air comes off the truck shell and goes around the trailer fairly well. It tracks well, and it is very rare for the wind to push it around, although it did do that on Wednesday. It was at least a 30+ mph cross wind and I had to drop to 50 mph to remain in control. That is very, very rare with this trailer.

I did a ton of reading about the front aero. A trailer with a rounded front top and sides seems to be the concensus. Most of the drag coming off the back of the trailer is a big issue but not much you can do about that. I have a small V nose trailer for shows and the gas mileage still sucks. Sort of awkward to pack a v-nose also... 24' if you want to put a car in it, bench up front etc. I have about 4-5' between the bench and the loaded car for other crap. If you don't need to haul a bunch of show stuff and spares around with you then go shorter on the trailer but 24' is the starting point (imho) for a race trailer. No problem selling one at that length either.

On edit. Go for radial tires and 5k axles.

I bought my Haulmark Transport, 20' V nose back in 05. I added a bench in the inside V and keep my tool boxes and crap packed under it. It's a little tight when the car is loaded, but it still works fine for me. Def need radial tires!

I added a regular anti-sway bar and that keeps it in check and the wind ALWAYS blows in Kansas. I've been known to pull it close to 80mph with no problems. I get around 12 mpg pulling the fully loaded trailer with my 2000 F250 7.3L P-S.

Brakes on both axles also (maybe the norm now). Research the tires that are on it, they are some brands you want to stay away from (maypops). I've had a 24 and not I've got a 36. Both feel like your pulling a sail boat with it's sail up. With the F250 I get about 12.5MPG (chipped ECM) and about 20MPG with out it stuck to the back. Also an enclosed is very handy to have around. I have used mine to store a car in through the winter.

Oh yeah, the anti sway is a must. Side driver door is great also, makes it a breeze to get into the car when loading and unloading.

Mark, you didn't add a bench. You added a bed. Gets pretty lonesome and tiring when everybody else is on the track doesn't it?

"blue65coupe" said:
Mark, you didn't add a bench. You added a bed. Gets pretty lonesome and tiring when everybody else is on the track doesn't it?

:stfu

You should turn that trailer into a mobile fireworks lab. Hell, the trailer is already used to housing things that go boom.

"blue65coupe" said:
You should turn that trailer into a mobile fireworks lab. Hell, the trailer is already used to housing things that go boom.

It's time to make the donuts

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Do you think this is worth the asking price?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/rvs/3108770899.html

It's made by S. Georgia Cargo. It's a 7K setup but I figure in the future I can always install 5.2K axles and springs if needed. Am I correct in that I can install E track in the floor. Thanks.

4k seems like a good price for that. Does it have brakes on both axles? Fiberglass or radial tires?

I bought my wells cargo race line 24 foot for 12k in 2003ish....sold it last year for 4k.

Other trailer didn't pan out, opinions on this one. Looked at it today and it seems nice to me. Is it worth the asking price?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ ... 31991.html

pictures of the roof.

CameraZOOM-20120714160449006.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120714160440317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's in the ball park. Round here around 5500 will get you the base model but the extras will jump the price up very quick. Only one trip on it, I'd say its priced right.

Still looking came across this one. Thoughts?

I have a 2006 24' enclosed haulmark car hauler for sale. I bought the trailer to move across country and now I need to sell it. It is in perfect working order. 10,000 gvw, great tires w/ spare, new floor, new roof vent, not leaks at all, rear ramp is spring loaded for one hand raising and lowering, brakes on both axles(they work great). I also re-enforced the back bumper of the trailer with a receiver hitch to pull a car dolly and I also ran wiring, so if you wish you could pull something else with this trailer. You wouldn't have to worry about that making it drag because I had no problems with this any where I wanted to go with it. The exterior of this trailer looks great. There are two minor scratches on the passenger side and one on the nose but nothing substantial. This really is a great trailer if you are looking for a race car trailer or something to haul your prize car back and forth. I am asking $4995.00, but I will consider all RESONABLE offers. I can send pic's if you are interested.

0803120734b.jpg

0803120734a.jpg

0803120734.jpg

0803120733a.jpg

0803120733.jpg

Looks nice. I would offer $42-4500.00. You can have a side door for exiting the car added also. That is like the one I pulled from Az. to Fl.

I have yet to have the first problem with my 20' Haulmark trailer and it's almost identical to the one listed. I don't have a driver side exit door and to be honest, haven't needed it. I haul the car to the track (1.25 hrs one way), work out of it and store the car in it sometimes (like NOW). Only thing I did was paint the interior and add a work bench in the V nose. I've hauled it loaded to the gills to Oregon and back as well.

The price Pete listed sounds good.

Back