• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine Levelers

abrahamfh

I figured I would post another one of my elementary questions, I tell myself that hopefully these will encourage any newcomers to the Mustang restoration world to join us up, can't be a bad thing to cover the basics, right? LoL

I have been browsing the web, looking at the most basic of engine levelers and I noticed there are a few. The three most popular I figured could be a good starting point to for the conversation and then if anyone wants to add another model/type that they have used list its pros and cons and the application they used it in.

The following three levelers differ in weight capacity only by +- 250 pounds or so and come in different chain lengths but the chain length detail I'm assuming can always be modified by purchasing chains separately.

What would be the advantage of not having a hand crank and using a socket or ratchet to move the fulcrum point of this specific leveler? Some of these levelers come with or without the little brackets at the end, is it better to have them on or off?
Weight capacity 1500lbs
51d85c01.jpg

This one here is exactly as the above leveler with addition to the hand crank, but some of them come with two chains on the left and only one chain on the right, whats that about?
Weight capacity 1500lbs
671c2a0b.jpg

This thing is big, is bigger really always better? is it overkill? This specific leveler has a capacity of 1250 pounds compared to the 1500 pound capacity of the two listed above. Does the longer length really provide that much more assistance when it comes down to travel distance of the fulcrum?
Weight capacity 1250lbs
4bae11b3.jpg

Just try fumbling with a socket and ratchet as you are mid way into the install (with no help) and you will prefer the crank to always be there.

I like the second one myself. Better capacity and the crank is there. I don't think for the average guy, the longer leveler will be a big deal.

As for the one chain on one end, that would be for different type chain position. I would prefer the 4 chain unit for max options.

If you're planning to bolt the chain to the heads, then go with the longer leveler. If you have a short leveler, the chain will press against the heads and/or valve covers.

My load leveler used to have a handle crank, but mid way through installing the engine, when the engine was a full tilt, the handle crank interfered with the leveler. At that point, I could have aborted the install; pulled the engine back; lowered it back onto the floor and flipped the engine leveler around. However, I just took a cutoff tool can hacked that handle crank off, and finished dropping the motor into place.

I used the latter one in your photos. but I removed the handle and permanently afixed a nut. I used my air impact to adjust the tilt of the motor. Worked quickly, but be sure to lube all areas to reduce friction, especially the althread. I tried using the crank at first (on mine) was difficult to turn and very slow and frustrating~ that's why I did what I did. I bought mine from Northern tools for about 39.oo.

Back