• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine Mounts

mrgem

As everyone knows, late in the 1965 model year, Ford switched motor mount styles. General agreement (or maybe not) is that the later-style mounts raise the engine -- helping with header clearance and that sort of thing.

Does anyone have the spec on how much higher the engine sits in the bay when you use the later mounts?

Thanks in advance.

G

I've never heard that one before. I have the originals from my early (march) 65 I could take measurements of if someone wanted to do the same with a later set for comparison

I never heard that Ford changed the motor mount due to header clearance issues. Its possible but I personally don't think so. Maybe they had a problem with the oilpan stucking out too low under the car ??? Or maybe the construction of the mounts itself were poor and had to be improved. IMHO.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

From what I understand, the change wasn't an issue of engine positioning, it was of mount strength.

Ford engine mounts have 2 components -- a frame mount, which bolts directly to the subframe, and a motor mount, which is the steel and vulcanized rubber part that connects the engine to the frame mount. We typically refer to this second component as the engine or motor mount, but it is really both components that make the mount.

I suspect Ford responded to reports of the rubber engine mounts tearing under hard acceleration, so they updated them in late 65. The frame mount was originally a cast piece. It was in turn bolted to the rubber and steel motor mount, which was a simple piece of steel with a vulcanized rubber pad:
1619790336075.png
Both components were updated in late 65. The frame mounts (the cast iron pieces) were replaced by a new stamped steel piece and the motor (rubber) mount was replaced with a beefier steel and rubber part. This later mount style was supposed to not only be stronger -- but they raised the engine just a bit. Header clearance improvement was probably an unintended result of the redesign.

I need to know how much additional clearance is provided by use of the new style mounts.

Back