• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine stands?

Kats66Pny

Since I'll be pulling the engine out of Gert soon.. I realized I have no where to put it after it's out.

I was checking HF and ran across this one - http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32916.html
image_217.jpg

Would something like this work? Which one would be best for a 302? 750lb? 1,000lb? 2,000lb? I have no idea how much a 302 weighs. LOL
Reviews say it doesn't roll easily, but I don't need to move it around much. Basically I just need it to store the engine on, out of the way in the corner of the garage until it can go back in after I redo the engine bay.

That is the stand I am using for the 5.0 I have that will eventually go in my Mustang.

I think the 289/302 weighs about 450 lbs full dressed.

What's 'fully dressed'...everything attached (intake, carb, alternator, headers, etc)?

The 1,000lb is on sale for $35.99 but the 750lb is on sale for $45.99. :wtf

I have 5-6 of those HF units out in the shop and they work fine. Lube up the wheels and they roll pretty good. I don't see a need to buy a more expensive one. I've got 289's to 351C's on them.

They can handle a small block Ford without issue. :thu

If you needed any more confirmation, I've used that same stand for 302s. Heck, I've used it for a 454 chevy - a whooping 700 lbs. The 2,000 lb models are for diesels & heavy truck engines.

If my memory serves, a fully dressed small block weighs around 470 lbs. You will be fine with any of them. The only real drawback is it can get pretty hard to roll the motor over on the stand, when all the weight is on it. So you might need help to do that. My wife couldn't budge it.

My stand came from Harbor freight.

0208091625.jpg

I want to say, mine was a 1500 lbs one. I believe i got it on sale for around 50 bucks at the time. It worked good for me, in fact its had another motor sitting on it in storage for over a year now.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Since I'll be pulling the engine out of Gert soon.. I realized I have no where to put it after it's out.

I was checking HF and ran across this one - http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32916.html
image_217.jpg

Would something like this work? Which one would be best for a 302? 750lb? 1,000lb? 2,000lb? I have no idea how much a 302 weighs. LOL
Reviews say it doesn't roll easily, but I don't need to move it around much. Basically I just need it to store the engine on, out of the way in the corner of the garage until it can go back in after I redo the engine bay.

I have that one or one very similar to it and have had a 260 long block on it for several years. Moves easily and no problems.

Went to HF last night to get one and dangit they only had one in the system, the floor display, which they said they couldn't sell. Luckily, the manager lady said they can give me a rain check for the item for the sale price of $35.99. Yesterday was the end of that sale price. They said they'll put the order in today and it should be on the truck and in the store next Wednesday.

While I was there... I was trying to get hubby to also get an air compressor & welder. No luck this time. LOL

did you know harbor freight has had 20 Percent off coupons in mustang monthly and hot rod magazines? I think they even work on sale items but im not sure.

"lethal289" said:
did you know harbor freight has had 20 Percent off coupons in mustang monthly and hot rod magazines? I think they even work on sale items but im not sure.

I don't read magazines. Not even the girly ones like Cosmo! :hide I only read some articles on Mustang Monthly online.

if your going to get a big item, like an air compressor, it may be worth it to buy a 5 dollar magazine first that has the coupon.

Just a tip :

Don't ask hubby for a welder and a compressor at the same time. Go for 'em one at a time, he'll be more likely to spring for it.

The hard part, what do you ask for first :confu

I don't understand the need for an engine stand. Kat, you got a husband, right? He's strong and manly, right? Just tell him to hold it up off the ground for the next few years. Geez...what do you think he's good for if not that?

Don't ask hubby for a welder and a compressor at the same time. Go for 'em one at a time, he'll be more likely to spring for it.

The hard part, what do you ask for first :confu

Air Compressor!!

Quote from: Opentracker on Today at 02:08:58 PM

The hard part, :confu

That is the part she asks for first......

:thu

Geez...what do you think he's good for if not that?

He can breathe through his ears for a very long time. :roll

"Kats66Pny" said:
He can breathe through his ears for a very long time. :roll

You have a good man there. :thu

Now you need to teach him how to weld and use air tools. That way you'll be buying the stuff for " HIM ".

Back