• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

epoxy primer

Fst Blk

If you plan to do bc/cc later, do you need to use a 2-stage epoxy primer or is a single stage ok?
Bill

I'm assuming by 2 stage you meant 2 part catylized (sp) epoxy versus something like a lacquer thinned primer...

I don't know about the lacquer primer / bc compatibility, but I beleive most painters spray a thinned coat of epoxy as a sealer just prior to applying the base coat. I think I'd be leary of using a lacquer primer under a base coat unless the base coat's data sheet exclusively states it's ok to do so. If you've got various materials under the basecoat, it would be best to seal them all up with epoxy IMO.

There are also 2 part urethane high build primers that also work good under base coat if you don't want to seal it with epoxy... For the few paint jobs I've worked on I've been using Nason epoxy primer and Nason 2K urethane under Dupont Chromabase. The 2K urethane is not intended to replace epoxy over bare metal, but works well everywhere else. When I painted the underside of the trunk and hood on my car, just before base coat I sprayed a coat of the 2K urethane prime that was reduced 10 or 20 percent to help it flow a bit smoother. That seemed to work well for me...

I was considering this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-UP230/ with the catalyst then ran across this...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-SWSP210G/

I didn't know if I was missing something. I already have a gallon of omni 282 hi-build. I planned to epoxy everything, as, I have went to bare metal on more than I had originally intended. I can buy the omni mp170 at my local jobber, but have a certificate to burn at Summit. But then I started noticing alot of guys like the Kirker brand epoxy for it's sandability. I just want to make sure that I'm not mixing and matching. Maybe I just need to stay with the Omni brand as that is the bc/cc I plan to use.
Bill

"67 Fastback" said:
But then I started noticing alot of guys like the Kirker brand epoxy for it's sandability.

why the need to have good sandability in the epoxy?

if you need to scuff it, get some red scotch brite pads.

"buckeyedemon" said:
why the need to have good sandability in the epoxy?

if you need to scuff it, get some red scotch brite pads.

Not sure after you bring it up. I decided to stay with my local jobber that has Omni/ppg stuff.
Bill

"stangg" said:
just before base coat I sprayed a coat of the 2K urethane prime that was reduced 10 or 20 percent to help it flow a bit smoother. That seemed to work well for me...
Listen to this advice it comes out like concrete if you dont reduce, and your sanding/wet sanding will be a PITA. I also like to spray self etch primer on bare steel then prime/guidecoat/wetsand-SEM makes a good product but it is $$$. I just Switched to Meguire's-Black Magic Paper and i Do not like it Goin back to 3M micro fiber.

SPI epoxy is what you want to use I have been using it in my shop since 2005

Back