• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

exhaust with subframe connectors

LMan68

Looking to run side-exit exhaust (s) on my car, but the subframe connectors are in the way (sorta). Any ideas on reconciling the two, or do you just run the pipe under the SFC (s) and hope for the best?

That's something I've been contemplating recently. I have side exits right now with no SFCs. I'd like to make some and add in extra steel out to the rocker panel for jacking purposes and roll cage backup. If I do this, I'd need to re-do my exhaust.
I think by going straight back then angling out at a sharper degree bend, it would end up in the same place, avoiding the SFCs. It's all theory at the moment, I hope to actual work on it this weekend.

I also was thinking of making the connectors large enough that the existing pipes would go through, but I think SFCs would end up being too big.

All ideas welcomed!

Hmmm...thinking out of the box! Open the front end and the back end of the subframe connectors and route your exhaust through the SFC!

Damn...I'm gonna file a patent on this idea!

Same concept as this....
tri5main.JPG

That's similar to what I was thinking of, I just don't know if I want to make them that large! I have 2 1/2" pipes.

Notch the subframe connectors then. Seems like only a few choices, go through, go under or dont run subframes.....

Ovaled exhaust tubes under the subframes and out the side would help a little, 2 1/2" pipe ends up 1 3/4" if that helps, I'd even consider putting a 1/4" dimple where it goes under the sf to get down to 1 1/2".
Jon

That's the kind I'm using. Competition Engineering. My pipes are 2 1/2"
subframeconnectorinsidexj7.jpg

72_17_03_09_5_37_38.jpg

72_17_03_09_5_39_23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Midlife" said:
Hmmm...thinking out of the box! Open the front end and the back end of the subframe connectors and route your exhaust through the SFC!

Damn...I'm gonna file a patent on this idea!

A friend of mine in New Mex. had a 1951 Ford Shoebox that was an old police car. The exhaust was run thru the frame on that due to extra bracing.......your idea is old.....

well, the SFCs were on the shell when I got it, so there isn't going to be any slotting unless I tear them out and start over (there were several things done to this shell I wish I could undo!). I will look at going around the back end, if there's enough room.

I would think that notching the SFCs would weaken them. -shrug-

I bet you could get something like this to fit under the sub's. I found these on ebay. You could cut/shape/bend them in a ... -u- ... type shape to go under the sub frame.

!BcFrc0wBGk~$(KGrHqEH-C0EquGIi95ZBKy8U8bsew~~_12.JPG

!BcFrgKwB2k~$(KGrHqYH-CYEqvVTW8W3BKy8VM1tHQ~~_12.JPG

!BYrZG-!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBKiz9Pvg5Q~~_12.JPG

!BYrZIZwCGk~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlul7eBKiz9(FgNw~~_12.JPG

We think alike...I was looking at those last night. Most I see have like 3.5" collector ends, though (ack) so I'd have to neck them down. Thanks.

Or you could cut a 3" hole through the rear torque box then weld in a section of pipe and run the exhaust through it. This is what happens on most E-cars with no reports of lose of integrity in the torque box. However you'll would need to install a ground effect/side skirt to make it look nice.

Johnny

The solution comes from overseas! LMan can have his E cake and eat it too.

I just watched HorsepowerTV this weekend and they did a side exhaust on their Dynacorn 68 road race car with subframes. May want to check out their website.

Back