• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fender, Door and Hood Alignment

68stang289

When I got the car back from paint, all of the panels were lined up and looking great. As I was adjusting the door glass on the driver's side, after closing the door a few times, the door started to hit on the fender at the body line. I was able to adjust the door at the hinge inward to get it to clear, but that has screwed up the body line with the fender. I know you really need to pull the fender to correctly adjust the doors, and I really don't want to do that. After that I noticed that the hood seemingly shifted from the DS to the PS. It seems to be slightly cocked towards the PS and the lines are very tight on the PS and very wide on the DS. I have done absolutely zero wrenching on any of the body lines. So a few questions:

1. What gives? I've never had a car that just all of a sudden was losing it's body lines. I checked all of the bolts and they all were tight, so it wasn't just an issue of the painter leaving the car loosely fit.

2. Is there any adjustment fore and aft on the fender, or am I limited to just moving the door fore and aft?

3. Is there a side-to-side adjustment for the hood? Or is this a hood hinges taking a crap on me issue?

As always, ya'lls input is always greatly appreciated!

Since you have been working on the car, opening the hood and door(s), leaning on the fender(s) as you wrench on the engine, I'm sure you have caused some movement on parts that were not secured tight enough.

There is a little play in everything, as a general rule but before you start moving everything I suggest you try and figure out what part moved first. If it was all lined up once I don't think you need to move it all to get it back. It's pretty easy to get things all out of whack that way.

"Horseplay" said:
Since you have been working on the car, opening the hood and door(s), leaning on the fender(s) as you wrench on the engine, I'm sure you have caused some movement on parts that were not secured tight enough.

There is a little play in everything, as a general rule but before you start moving everything I suggest you try and figure out what part moved first. If it was all lined up once I don't think you need to move it all to get it back. It's pretty easy to get things all out of whack that way.

Hmm, I did not consider that all of the working on the car could have caused some movement. I'm not entirely sure where the movement started as they seem unconnected to me, but I will certainly see what I can find. I definitely don't like the fit on the door adjustment we made.

Probably should get you assembly and bugs worked out first then take it for a ride to the body shop who did the work. They should be able to help you out for next to nothing.

"RyanG85" said:
Probably should get you assembly and bugs worked out first then take it for a ride to the body shop who did the work. They should be able to help you out for next to nothing.

I wish. The guy who did the paint and body work on the car closed up shop after almost 8 years in business and moved back up to Maryland to manage his dad's bump shop. As if this project would have it any other way!

If the hood already aligns to the cowl then just loosen the top fender bolts, and the one visible from the door jam and nudge the fender outward.

If the hood does not align to the cowl, then loosen the top bolt on each hinge (hood side), then push them in the direction that you want to move the hood. Sometimes the slighted bit of movement helps immensly.

For the fender to door clearance, if the bottom of the fender is close to the rocker panel, then try adding some space between them. The thickness of a paint stick or two won't look bad, especially if the bottom of the door is aligned to the forward edge of the rocker.

Another option is leave the top bolts tight, loosen the one in the door jam, remove the one on the rocker and then pull the bottom of the fender out some, then re tighten the one in the jam, followed by the one on the rocker... This can sligthly alter the arch giving more door to clearance at the center of the fender.

Another thing to try is loosen the lower rocker bolt, and push the lower rear corner of the wheel opening inward a slight bit and snug the bolt back up. That can sometimes alter the door gap too.

Back