• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

fender flare

ZFORCE

hey Jason I have a question for you I've seen lots of fender flares on Mustangs but I'm wondering when you bond the fender flares on is the metal underneath cut it seems logical that it would be in order to put bigger tires on but I never see anyone talking about what happens to the original metal fender can you help answer that question for me. pictures would be awesome

The ideal way is to cut the existing flare the weld actual metal to get the flare you want.

Or you could take the ole hammer and dolly to them...........and a few hours later...........

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    906 KB · Views: 155
Anyone have pics? Also on the rear flares, you have to deal with the outer wheelhouse, so if you cut the quarters higher, then the outer wheelhouse also gets cut and can no longer attach to the quarters. Am I missing something?

I think the inner liner is where the problem is. I have seen glass ons that use the original inner and outer lip. These are done for cosmedic looks only. Some that are made out of metal require the outer and inner to be slitted every few inches and then the lips cut off. The radius is from the new piece of metal that forms the new lip..................

http://www.jefflilly.com/current-projec ... lares.html

My favorite ones, they just look the best and are not gauty. They are a little costly but they mantain a finished look once added. I think they also increase the radius so that a taller tire can be used also.

http://sn65.com/Products.htm

And the glue on. These are mostly for looks and if you look at the inner part of the lip you can see why.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatal ... 1RF%20.JPG

I think I would look for a old school body man that knows how to expand and shrink metal witn a hammer and dolly and can reshape them, no glue, no fiverglass, no looking guaty and the will accept wider tires.

Heres a google for you to digest

https://www.google.com/search?q=weld+on ... 74&bih=625

You do know.....it only takes a couple of hours to flare all four according to world of TV custom building.....

I'm just a bit slower, but not by much. I tried to keep them not too far from stock but able to squeeze another inch of rubber in there. It's not as hard as people think but it takes a bit of nerve to start beating on a perfectly good fender. Actually the fender lip roller may be perfect for what he's trying to do. You may want to take a look at it and if it's the cats meow, get in line to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqiTfYyaI1A

Thanks for the links evil, and thanks for the replies. Since I haven't started my project, I'm still in the planning stages. I like some of the Eleanor look, and the fender flares are one part I do like. I was hoping Jason would chime in since he does this for a living.

BTW, I have already been in the line for the flaring tool. I made the storage/shipping aluminum box a few years ago, not sure what happened to the tool since then. Rolling ads a little, but I like the flares, and was wondering what's going on under them. Not sure how wide I'm planning to go on Dirty Harry.

I did not bond mine on, I like the "bolt-on" look of the actual movie car. The bonded on look just makes me think of lots of body filler and potential cracks. My car was painted 7 years ago and has been driven on countless Hot Rod Power Tours and in 16 different states over that time. Even on a few track days on Nashville Speedway. It's held up quite well. As far as cutting the original fonder, I didn't. Just rolled the lip. So the flare is cosmetic only. I do have 17x9.5" wheels and 275 tires with no rubbing.

Thanks for the reply, Craig, adding the tire size helps too. Not sure I'm going to go super wide tires. Do you have any close up pics of the front and back flares/tires?

I'm over in Korea right now but I had this one on my computer. Don't know if that helps you. The front wheels are only 7" wide while the rear are 9.5"
1452529_659467700771311_386207063_n.jpg

Thanks for posting Craig, it looks beautiful. Hoping to get pics from the inside where the old flare and the new can be seen at the same time.

I have this photo on my computer before the fiberglass was bolted on

Attachments

• Picture 467.jpg
    Picture 467.jpg
    871.5 KB · Views: 82
Thanks again Craig, nice work on the rockers...is that metal work? I like the pinch seam. Where did you get your E kit from? So the fender just gets drilled and the flares bolted to them?

My fiberglass is from Maier Racing. Most of it anyway. my upper nose is a modified Mustangs To Fear piece. Yes the rockers are fabbed up with metal for the side exit exhaust. My flares have studs that go through the holes and are bolted on. I sealed the holes up with silicone caulk but everything can be removed for repair or whatever.

Not late at all Jason. I was just hoping to see some pictures of a vehicle with the flare in place from underneath where the old flare meets the new one...is the old metal cut out or? Thanks

Thanks, do you do the same for the rear quarters, and if so, do you join the quarter to the outer wheel well? Thanks

Back