• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

fender washers/shim ?

napaguy

On the front fenders what is the line between "that guy took some time to align his fenders" to "boy that looks like shit"? I am going to have to use some but I can tweak the panel some. TIA

No washers...period. Take the time to bump up the aprons or the fenders to make a reasonable match. You do know that 3M strip caulk is used between the fender and apron to eliminate rattles...that can be used to hide small amounts of mis-match.

No washersshims period? Dang mid you do know that I replaced both front aprons with crappy reproduction sheet metal? I should be able to get it close though. Thanks for the tip about the goop between the fenders I didnt know that.

Midlife learned the 3M trick back when he was trying to eliminate the rattling noise between his dentures.

It is also useful as a butt crack sealer, helpful to keep the "air" inside... ~iws

My car fenders were shimmed from the factory and good thing too. It would not line up at all if not.

On my '70, I had to use shims on the rear bottom at the rocker to draw the excess "curve" out of the fender to match the curve of the door. But it was just one spacer on each side. The "squared" U type ones that slide in.

Back