• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

fiberglass hood

Badass70

since mine is totally destroyed and i need a new one, what does everyone suggest is the best company, my last one took a hell of a lot of work to get it some what straight. mine came from mustang depot, i loved the 3inch cowl it looks great on the car, not too big not too small. any suggestions?

If you had to use a lot of work, maybe you want to make one from steel. I can't be happier with mine. I imagine a body shop would be all that expensive to throw one together for you. The benefits are a strong latch (no need for hood pins) and it wont fly open. Plus you can use stock hood springs so you don't need that annoying prop rod. Just some food for thought.

if you do go with FG hood, I have a Maier Racing hood. It fit pretty well, I have low tension springs and original hood latch (I have hood pins too, but more for the look). I I don't have the talent to build a Shelby/Eleanor hood from a metal one. I am pretty happy with my FG. It's been on the car about 7 years and no issues.

What about steel frame with fiberglass skin hoods from Tony Branda? Don't know if they make just the one you like but you might look into it. Red using one of their gt350 hoods.

My 66gt350 hood is from Maier Racing, but it's about 35 years old. so, I can't attest how they're doing these days. My current cowl hood, IIRC, is from Mustang's Plus. The fit is pretty good and the top don't look too bad. There is one problem, but it's not the manufacturer's fault. I bought the hood used, and it looks like it was set down hard on one corner, it's got a little chip knocked out of it. Nothing that isn't easily fixed with a little :gs !!

I bought my hood from Tony Branda back in 01-02. I did very little work on it and the fit is not perfect, but good.

Spoke to Mike from Maier racing, great guy, I'm going to go with them, they make them so you your not guessing who's making them

I'm using the stock hinges, but I yanked the springs and replaced it with the lighter shelby hood springs.

Yeah that's what I was using til they became bent and mangled. I really like the ones with the shock type hinge, just wondering if anyone has them and how they like them.

Back