• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fiberglass Trunk Lid Help

Just received new fiberglass trunk lid and end caps with the spoiler. For a '67 coupe. I heard that you cannot leave the rods/springs in the trunk if it is fiberglass because when the deck lid is closed, the pressure from the rods/springs will warp the fiberglass. Is this true? I'm sure many of you have this fiberglass piece, will i need to take them out and use a rod to prop it open? Thanks

Jack

I've heard that too, but have no experience with it. Maybe you could do something like 70fastback and others have done, and use those modern lift strut to prop it open.

SA4466-2.jpg

"Laurie S." said:
Use 68 fastback trunk springs, there is no rod.

Yeh , spring type is better but for a fiberglass decklid I would use less strong.
You can rotate the spring 180

I have a 67 coupe with a GT/CS type FG deck lid, I retained the stock torsion bar rods. It's been on the car since the 90's with no warpage. You could use it to go pumpkin chunkin though, I have an electric trunk release and with virtually no weight it will open rather quickly (at warp speed)! here is a pic of Dave and the car
72_13_10_09_1_40_55.bmp

Last edited by a moderator:
"B67FSTB" said:
Yeh , spring type is better but for a fiberglass decklid I would use less strong.
You can rotate the spring 180

I have a fiberglass deck lid on my fastback and have had no problems. The trick is to close the trunk by pushing in the middle of it, not on the end of it like you normally would.

The deck lid does seem very, very sturdy so i think I will just go ahead and stay with the rods but make turn them just enough to keep the lid from closing when it's open. Thanks for the suggestions

You can use the tension rods , they won't warp the deck lid. I have posted on here before what we do. We will take the rods out and put them in a vise heat them up to take the tension off of them. That way it doesn't spring up in your face . It's a very easy fix. Rich.

i bought the shock kit from MU, if i had to do it over again i would have just went to a local parts store and bought them there, i pretty much got ripped off. but the kit i bought requires you to cut your trunk hinges so they dont rub.
S1051912.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You could have put a spacer in, instead of notching the hinge. I have posted here before those are just over priced truck topper brackets. Rich.

Back